What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with hair selection?

Deicide8

Hi,

I've been trying to improve with photoshop. I always had issues with hair selection.

I've been using refine edge (can't use color range) and this is the best i've achieved so far:

sLoLGsH.png

Can I get a bit of help? What can I do better?

This is the original image:

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fredfish

Guru
Eggy - that looks really good. Would I be right in thinking that if you follow this procedure but with an even higher contrasting background and then merging all layers to a single layer (ctrl+Shift+alt+e on the top layer) you would have a better chance of using the refine edge tool to get a better result than the OP?

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
In this particular case I don't think a better result is possible due to the fact that the loose hairs are way too fuzzy and PS wont be able to calculate the 'borders'.

But usually people cut out persons in order to put them on another background of their choice. In the used technique you will not lose one hair.
I you look closely at the loose hairs on the left side (shoulder) you'll see that the illumination of those hairs adapts to the background. The 'sky' background is bright and therefore there's a subtle see through illumination.
In the original picture you have a dark background and almost no illumination of those hairs.

fredfish

Guru
Makes sense.

Cheers

John

Deicide8

Thanks everyone for your answers, I really appreciate your help.

I'm watching those tutorials right now too.

Thank you again