What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying Patterns

WewLad

Hello, I had a newb question about Photoshop: I was trying to follow along this tutorial but I got stuck on step 2. It said to create a pattern, inverse a layer, fill it, and then apply the pattern. How do I apply the pattern to the edge of the island like the tutorial says? Here is what is shown, and my result. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
zLw5rh7.png

Attachments

• tutorial_by_1blomma-d5zxh0r - Copy.jpg
    tutorial_by_1blomma-d5zxh0r - Copy.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 3

MrToM

Guru
Looking at your screen shot that tutorial is throwing you a right curved ball!!

Its understandable that things aren't going right for you, that tutorial is a little barse ackwards!

The 'Land' layer is the larger OUTER area, the water is the smaller 'lsland' shaped area. This is NOT as you would expect it to be and through no fault of your own you've done what most people would do and assume that the 'island' was the land.

Try again with that in mind and see if you get any further....I think you are doing everything right but that tutorial is just confusing things by what it calls 'land' and 'water'.

In relation to your layers:

Shape 1 = WATER
Layer 1 = LAND

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

Looking at your screen shot that tutorial is throwing you a right curved ball!!

Its understandable that things aren't going right for you, that tutorial is a little barse ackwards!

The 'Land' layer is the larger OUTER area, the water is the smaller 'lsland' shaped area. This is NOT as you would expect it to be and through no fault of your own you've done what most people would do and assume that the 'island' was the land.

Try again with that in mind and see if you get any further....I think you are doing everything right but that tutorial is just confusing things by what it calls 'land' and 'water'.

In relation to your layers:

Shape 1 = WATER
Layer 1 = LAND

Regards.
MrToM.
almost there.PNG
Wow, thank you for the quick and very helpful response! I still have a few questions: as you can see in my pic, the effect is still not quite there. The pattern has overtaken the stroke-and is not outside the island. Is this my error? Thank you again?

MrToM

Guru
What you need to do is apply the pattern to a COPY of your LAYER 1.

To COPY Layer 1 select it, and hit CTRL + J

Move this layer to the very TOP of the layer stack...just click and drag it up until you see a double line ABOVE the uppermost layer (your Layer 2).

Reducing the 'Fill' to zero removes the white 'fill' but retains the 'pattern' effect.....the transparent pixel in the pattern allows the 'Outer Glow' to show through from the layers below.

You should be able to discard Layer 2.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

What you need to do is apply the pattern to a COPY of your LAYER 1.

To COPY Layer 1 select it, and hit CTRL + J

Move this layer to the very TOP of the layer stack...just click and drag it up until you see a double line ABOVE the uppermost layer (your Layer 2).

Reducing the 'Fill' to zero removes the white 'fill' but retains the 'pattern' effect.....the transparent pixel in the pattern allows the 'Outer Glow' to show through from the layers below.

You should be able to discard Layer 2.

Regards.
MrToM.
great.PNG
Wow, thank you so much, fantastic!

MrToM

Guru
...Wow, thank you so much, fantastic!...
No worries.

There may be a more simple way to do this, (less layers), but as you are unfamiliar with PS and already had what you needed regards layers it seemed the easiest solution.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

No worries.

There may be a more simple way to do this, (less layers), but as you are unfamiliar with PS and already had what you needed regards layers it seemed the easiest solution.

Regards.
MrToM.
Hi, could you please help me sort out this part of the tutorial, I'm having trouble making sense of it. It says to copy the "land layer" and place it underneath the original layer, and proceeds to tell me that this is the layer that I "cut nations from". Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
copy.jpg
what i have so far.PNG

MrToM

Guru
...Hi, could you please help me sort out this part of the tutorial, I'm having trouble making sense of it...
Not really, no.

Without knowing what it is that doesn't make sense to you I'd just be repeating the tutorial.

A link to the tutorial would also help...then I can try it for myself and maybe simplify it for you once you say what you need help with.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

Not really, no.

Without knowing what it is that doesn't make sense to you I'd just be repeating the tutorial.

A link to the tutorial would also help...then I can try it for myself and maybe simplify it for you once you say what you need help with.

Regards.
MrToM.
Hi, sorry about that, I should've been more clear. My problem right now is understanding what the author means by "cutting out" nations. I understand that he copies the layer and proceeds to draw the out the borders, and I fully understand the blending options he implements, however my issue is that I don't completely understand what he does by creating the new layer and then going to drawing, it seems like he skipped a step. Anyways, here is the full tutorial, thanks again!
http://1blomma.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-362679147

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Give me a moment to familiarise myself with it and I'll get back to you.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Hmmmm.....2 things spring to mind...

A. This tutorial isn't the best. It mixes Illustrator with Photoshop with very little definition between the two and to be honest is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

B. Even if this tutorial was written so it could be understood its a fairly advanced tutorial for someone not familiar with Photoshop...or any other Adobe product for that matter.

I say that purely as this is posted in the 'Newbies' section.

Are you following this for experience or because you really want to crack a nut?

If its for experience then I suggest you forget this one and move on....there are many, many GOOD tutorial sites out there that wont have you jumping through hoops for something simple.

Here are just two really good Youtube channels:
BlueLighteningTV:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bluelightningtv

Phlearn:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhlearnLLC

Either way, you'd be much better off using your time to learn the basics of Photoshop rather than wasting your time trying to follow this, [or any written], tutorial...which, when all said and done, will only teach how you how to do one specific thing.

Its a good site, but its not known for it tutorials.

If you want to persevere with it though, 'cutting out' is not a PS term but I think they mean 'remove everything that doesn't look like land'....cut out the bits you want to keep. This is where knowing the basics of PS would be beneficial...you'd know exactly how to do that and it wouldn't be holding you back. That's not to say its the right thing to do but at least knowing the basics you could make your mind up as to its validity.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

Hmmmm.....2 things spring to mind...

A. This tutorial isn't the best. It mixes Illustrator with Photoshop with very little definition between the two and to be honest is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

B. Even if this tutorial was written so it could be understood its a fairly advanced tutorial for someone not familiar with Photoshop...or any other Adobe product for that matter.

I say that purely as this is posted in the 'Newbies' section.

Are you following this for experience or because you really want to crack a nut?

If its for experience then I suggest you forget this one and move on....there are many, many GOOD tutorial sites out there that wont have you jumping through hoops for something simple.

Here are just two really good Youtube channels:
BlueLighteningTV:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bluelightningtv

Phlearn:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhlearnLLC

Either way, you'd be much better off using your time to learn the basics of Photoshop rather than wasting your time trying to follow this, [or any written], tutorial...which, when all said and done, will only teach how you how to do one specific thing.

Its a good site, but its not known for it tutorials.

If you want to persevere with it though, 'cutting out' is not a PS term but I think they mean 'remove everything that doesn't look like land'....cut out the bits you want to keep. This is where knowing the basics of PS would be beneficial...you'd know exactly how to do that and it wouldn't be holding you back. That's not to say its the right thing to do but at least knowing the basics you could make your mind up as to its validity.

Regards.
MrToM.
Hi, thanks for your time ToM. I do want to learn more about the basics of Photoshop (I really appreciate the links), however in this particular case I'd like to try "going at it" as it's been one of my Ps goals for a very long time now to recreate a map in that same style. As for Illustrator, I have it and as you can see in Step 2 of the tutorial, it has you create rivers in Illustrator and then apply it to Photoshop. I have done this with ease. With your help, I have finished the major hurdle of the first part, however I do have experience (and knowledge) of how to do all parts of the tutorial (names, making cities, long/lat lines, and frames), however this Part 4 (drawing the states) has proven troublesome, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out with this part. For example, do you recommend diverging from the the instructions in part 4 and creating a completely new layer, drawing the border, and cntr+click and delete the water layer, so it ends smoothly, and finally applying the blending options?

Again, greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
Here's a picture of what I mean. Thoughts?
try1.PNG

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
There is no mention of Illustrator in Part 2 so I assume you mean Part 3?

If you've managed that Ok then there is nothing different in Part 4. As the tutorial states, "Open your map in Illustrator and start tracing the borders with the pen tool..."

There isn't ANY need whatsoever to use Illustrator for ANY of this tutorial, it can all be done with PS, and far easier than is demonstrated but I see no reason why you cannot apply what you have already done "with ease" to this next step.

There are no hard and fast 'rules' when it comes to software and many times there are always more than one way to do things. In this case the author has, in my eyes, complicated the project, but I'm sure they have their reasons....probably because they don't know how use Photoshop properly.

You seem like you have an ample understanding of the software involved so its hard to believe you cannot apply it further to the task in hand.

In a nutshell you have 'areas', (states), which are copied from a template, (the map), to their own layer, coloured, (fill), and have a border, (stroke). Water is exactly the same but with a 'glow' and a pattern overlay.

Each 'state' would need to be on its own layer in order for the 'fill' and 'stroke' to work.
Water should also be on its own layer.
Rivers too should be on a layer unless they need different properties.
Text will create its own layer automatically.

Honestly, there is nothing difficult about this at all, its ALL very basic Photoshop.

(Unless I'm missing something....which is more than likely.)

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

There is no mention of Illustrator in Part 2 so I assume you mean Part 3?

If you've managed that Ok then there is nothing different in Part 4. As the tutorial states, "Open your map in Illustrator and start tracing the borders with the pen tool..."

There isn't ANY need whatsoever to use Illustrator for ANY of this tutorial, it can all be done with PS, and far easier than is demonstrated but I see no reason why you cannot apply what you have already done "with ease" to this next step.

There are no hard and fast 'rules' when it comes to software and many times there are always more than one way to do things. In this case the author has, in my eyes, complicated the project, but I'm sure they have their reasons....probably because they don't know how use Photoshop properly.

You seem like you have an ample understanding of the software involved so its hard to believe you cannot apply it further to the task in hand.

In a nutshell you have 'areas', (states), which are copied from a template, (the map), to their own layer, coloured, (fill), and have a border, (stroke). Water is exactly the same but with a 'glow' and a pattern overlay.

Each 'state' would need to be on its own layer in order for the 'fill' and 'stroke' to work.
Water should also be on its own layer.
Rivers too should be on a layer unless they need different properties.
Text will create its own layer automatically.

Honestly, there is nothing difficult about this at all, its ALL very basic Photoshop.

(Unless I'm missing something....which is more than likely.)

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi MrTom, yes I did indeed mean Part 3. As for Step 4, i believe I understand the basics, however the "fine details" seem to be escaping me. For example see the border of my state with the coastline. In the tutorial the coastline can be clearly seen, however the work I did has the borders of the state cover the stroke of the coastline. How do I correct this?
copy.jpgtry1.PNG

MrToM

Guru
...however the work I did has the borders of the state cover the stroke of the coastline. How do I correct this?...
Change the layer order perhaps?

Try having the 'coastline' as the upper most layer, no fill.

Your 'states' could be each on their own layer below that, filled with whatever colour you want, and with whatever stroke you want.

Any rivers would be on a layer directly under the coastline, and therefore above the 'states'.

Experiment with it, you'll learn how the layer order can change things without editing anything.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

Change the layer order perhaps?

Try having the 'coastline' as the upper most layer, no fill.

Your 'states' could be each on their own layer below that, filled with whatever colour you want, and with whatever stroke you want.

Any rivers would be on a layer directly under the coastline, and therefore above the 'states'.

Experiment with it, you'll learn how the layer order can change things without editing anything.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks again! The tutorial said exactly that but in vague, confusing terms, and for some reason I didn't think of that, of course! Here is what I have so far, any critique?
so far.PNG

MrToM

Guru
...Here is what I have so far, any critique?...
Not of your work no...if that's what you set out to do then that's all it needs to be. :thumbsup:

As for that tutorial though, well, the least said about that the better.

If it were my project I would have used the 'Pen' tool to create a 'shape' for each 'state'....shapes have their own 'fill' and 'stroke' attributes without the need to apply any effects, in this case 'color overlay' and 'stroke'. A further 'shape' for the coastline and a 'path' for the rivers would be all that is needed.

Like I said before, that tutorial really turned something quite simple into a confusing, complex, dogs-dinner of unnecessary procedures....especially including the use of Illustrator.

Regards.
MrToM.

WewLad

Not of your work no...if that's what you set out to do then that's all it needs to be. :thumbsup:

As for that tutorial though, well, the least said about that the better.

If it were my project I would have used the 'Pen' tool to create a 'shape' for each 'state'....shapes have their own 'fill' and 'stroke' attributes without the need to apply any effects, in this case 'color overlay' and 'stroke'. A further 'shape' for the coastline and a 'path' for the rivers would be all that is needed.

Like I said before, that tutorial really turned something quite simple into a confusing, complex, dogs-dinner of unnecessary procedures....especially including the use of Illustrator.

Regards.
MrToM.
Yes, it was quite confusing. Anyways, I finally completed the map! Thank you very much, I couldn't have done it without your ability to sort through the clutter and your tips! Here it is:
Corsica 1Blomma variant.png

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Looks a million bucks! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.