What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help me with this image

ammenRA

Hi there

Guys, please help with this, i just got my cs6 like about a week so i really need help on this.

this is the image that i have trouble with..as you can see, in my opinion the clouds that right on the sides esp the right side is..right
setapak3.jpg

i wanted to be look like the pic below..i know this is a different angle but i hope you get the idea... i tried added fog/mist with tutorials vids on youtube but i need all the help i can get..
article-2150239-134D1026000005DC-761_964x633.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The transition between the path and the clouds is way to hard.

setapak3.jpg

I assume you did used a layer mask on the 'clouds' layer?
Make it softer and correct it by switching between adding and substracting.
Leave a hint of clouds over the path in some places.

soften.gif

Last edited:

ammenRA

Holy..!!!
did you used cloud brush or real clouds? can i know the type of brush you used and setting to soften the cloud edge?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
This is a combination of two images and using layer mask to substract or add parts of the masked layer.

If you are not familiar with layer mask, here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgmTl2Hbdsc

I'll try to explain

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

I used these two picture.

Drag the cloud picture onto you mountain picture, drop down the opacity of the cloud layer and reposition the cloud layer

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Apply a layer mask to the cloud layer

Untitled-5.jpg

With the layer mask active and black as foreground color and white as background color and a soft brush, brush away the parts of the cloud layer you do not need. (see tutorial)
Do not use the eraser tool! That is working destructively.

Untitled-6.jpg

Vary the brush size and opacity to achieve the result you want.

But first and very important, learn using layer mask.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Soften the 'edge' more with a soft brush (0% hardness/20%opacity).
Also the clouds are way too saturated in comparison with the earth layer, reduce the saturation of the cloud layer. (Add hue/satuaration adjustment layer on the clouds layer, clip it to the clouds layer and reduce the saturation)

setapak3 A.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I understand your wish to accomplish a nice work and being impatient but this is a tutorial for advanced users.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before this thread you didn't even knew the existence of a layer mask. I don't really know your level of expertise.

So, before going into something that complicated, even with the tutorial at hand, you should practise first the essential techniques needed to use PS.

I remember that when I started not long ago, I was eager to do good looking composites with the tutorial at hand and in the process of trying I got stuck due to my lack of knowledge of the basic techniques.

I'm not saying it is bad to try but when stuck it is frustrating and the disappointment could lead you to lose interest or stop working with PS.

I am not gonna lead you through that tutorial but I am going to give you some links to well known PS artist with excelent tutorials.

Watch them, learn and practise again and again.(And then some more...) But start small.

Use what you have learned.

If you encounter problems submit them to this forum, there's always someone to help.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC47XN5bhLTBH5TRFyKaUpKg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9eJ0QMxVANECYICsnM1yzA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDfJlseFwUx2X0h3m5PRILA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48fSJKMFBka3Zl0u7DGf0A

I'm sure other members will add links for good tutorials.

Remember, perseverance/patience and practise

Good luck

ammenRA

No, I do know about layer mask, the first image that i uploaded used several layer masks for the cloud, the cloud itself is one image and i used it several times. i changed the cloud aftter i saw your image coz i think it's more efficient using one image to cover the whole effect, sorry english is not my native tongue so sometimes i struggle to find the image that i want.

But thank you for the tutorials references, the first two i already subscribed :D

ammenRA

i think i know what the author of the christmas tutorial meant..first i thought that the red paint is part of process that he/shaid but it wah just a way of showing the area that needed to be brushed..anyway here's my result, is not good as the original but i know how to use the adjustment layer know..
Untitled-1.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes, while the layer mask is active press Q on your keyboard to reveal the mask in red.

ammenRA

yes and cmiiw in my case coz i used a selective color layer, i have to the alt key too as i clicking on the layer masks to reveal the red paint..