What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A learning opportunity for me

Jerry D

Power User
@IamSam, thanks for the encouragement!

This is in reference to this thread...https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/free-photoshop-requests/58501-please-edit-my-dog-photo-me.html

Disclaimer:
I am in no way skilled at Photoshop. I mainly fumble around until I get something I think is decent.

Now, on this edit the dog with sign image was much larger than the tree image, thus more detail to work with. The dog cutout was much sharper
than the background he was to go on. So I sharpened the bg image to try to match and lost contrast, gained brightness. The depth of field was off.
When I tried to correct, the colors were wrong.

My question...what should I have done?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Jerry,

Let's see a version of the edit where you don't try to sharpen the BG. The BG has a bit of a soft lighting or slight blur. So in order to match the dog to the BG, I would make the dog a smart object right off the bat so that I could add a masked smart G-Blur filter.

I think one of the most important aspects of matching the dog to the BG is in the lighting which you have done a great job with. Another thing I do is that I always make a stamped version of the finished composite and then use the Blur Tool (and others) to blend.

Jerry D

Power User
This is the only psd file I kept. It has 2 sharpening layers you can turn off. The BG layer has probably been leveled up, I can't
remember now. Fumble, fumble....I'm not a pro, sad to say.

I don't know what you mean about "a stamped version of the finished composite". That went right over
my head. I'll look it up on Google and see what I find.

EDIT: Removed attachment

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jerry, I downloaded the .rar and there was nothing........I couldn't open it.

Sorry, stamped is an older term for "merge a copy of all visible layers into a target/new layer" SHIFT + OPT/ALT + CMD/CNTRL + E

gedstar

Guru
Hey Sam

That .rar file opened fine for me, not sure what you need for a mac
Only problem is I can't upload the PSD for the OP, getting the spinning wheel and nothing happens

Here's a screenshot if that helps
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Jerry D

Power User
Okay, I've found the stamp thing explanation and I'll surely try it.

I didn't want to blur the dog because it would be so small on the BG and I thought it would need all the clarity it had.
Is there a way to blur the BG as to create depth of field, other than by hand? Perspective blur, maybe?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, didn't see the updated posts.

Jerry D

Power User
I think macs can do zip files, so here it is.

We were posting and I was trying to upload a psd, all at the same time.Then the board went down.
I thought, Oh no, I broke it!!!

View attachment dog1.zip

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Jerry, I became busy this evening.

Here's you image without the sharpening layers. I think it looks pretty good. What do you not like about it?
JerrysDog1.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick edit I did using the techniques I described earlier. It could use some more tweaking.

I did use Curves adjustment layers for my dodging and burning. I like this method as it uses the actual colors of the image and it's completely editable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsyS2Gd9lY

BeagleTree_01.jpg

Jerry D

Power User
.....you image without the sharpening layers. I think it looks pretty good. What do you not like about it? [/QUOTE said:
It just looks to me like the dog isn't there. It looks like what it is, a subject moved to a different BG. I thought the sharpening
helped make it more realistic. Maybe it isn't possible to do better, considering the different resolutions of the original
photos, the lighting and everything. A pro could probably spend mucho time with it and fix all that, but that ain't me.
And for a free edit........:rolleyes:

Jerry D

Power User
Thanks for the curves video, I learned from that. Curves adjustment on the dog seems to be helping.
What I'm trying to do is make the dog look more realistic with the sharpened BG. I think the lighting is
is what is wrong.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It just looks to me like the dog isn't there. It looks like what it is, a subject moved to a different BG.
Yes it does, and to our discerning eye's it may always look that way.

Jerry D said:
I thought the sharpening helped make it more realistic.
Well, not really. There's always something to be said for sharpening techniques for certain images, but I'm not sure it's what needs to be done here. I do think the tree image was shot in a softer focus but it's really pretty clear. I think this is more of a case for matching the dog to the BG and not the other way round. The res difference is to great, it's easier to go down than it is to go up!

Jerry D said:
Maybe it isn't possible to do better, considering the different resolutions of the original
photos, the lighting and everything.
Well, we can always do better, but your right, the different resolutions, lighting, etc make a difference. I apologize that I have not had the time to work with this image so I can provide a more direct solution to the blending issue. I was hoping that we would get some of the other members to jump in on this conversation.
Jerry D said:
And for a free edit........:rolleyes:
Exactly! However, this is what the free edit forum was created for, so that you could practice these types of real world edits.

Jerry D

Power User
First of all, there is absolutely no reason to apologize for anything. I am the benefactor in this exchange. I appreciate the time
you and the other members have taken to try to help and teach.

I believe you're right..."and to our discerning eye's it may always look that way". Once you've done something like this you'll never
see it as an orginal, like seeing the edited image for the first time. So it will never look "finished".

I was trying not to blur (?) the dog too much because of the text on his sign. I thought that was probably the intent of the whole thing.

I get it that.."this is what the free edit forum was created for, so that you could practice these types of real world edits", but I'd
like to do the best I can for the OP. That's why I'm trying to pick your brain! Anything I can learn will be passed on.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tried adding some noise to the dog. This is easy to d and adjust with the smart filters. I also added a solid color fill layer in white set to soft light,I lowered it's opacity down to about 16%.

I think this helped him a little.
(note: I did not blend his edges here)
BeagleTree_02.jpg

Jerry D

Power User
I tried adding some noise to the dog. This is easy to do and adjust with the smart filters.

Noise! I didn't even think of that. I think it blends a lot better, now. Guess that's why you make the big bucks!:youtheman: