What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A learning opportunity for me

Jerry D

Power User
This is what I've got so far. I added noise to the dog and worked on the shadows.

dog3.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Much better. Really take a look at the other shadows in the tree image. The sun seems to be at about 10:00 and low on the horizon, how would the shadowing be cast on the dogs face?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! Hoogle's described technique is less effective but basically the same thing as adding the curves adjustment layers and using their layer masks.

Here's the Puppy
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 9.44.56 PM.png
Here's the Puppy after you added and clipped the dark Curves adjustment (with a white layer mask) to the Puppy layer.
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 9.45.05 PM.png

The Curves adjustment comes with a layer mask.
If the mask is white you can see the effect of the Curves adjustment.
If the mask is black you can't see the effect of the Curves adjustment.

You want your mask to be black.

Select the mask an then you use Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the mask

Use your Brush Tool on the Curves Adjustment layer mask with white as your foreground color, then you can reveal the dark curves adjustment.
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 9.45.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 9.45.59 PM.png

This was in the video I showed you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can use two Curves adjustment layer clipped to the same image layer.
Works the same way.

Here's the Puppy with a bright Curves adjustment layer.
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 9.57.00 PM.png

Reverse the mask (make it black), then use the Brush Tool to add the brightness to the image.

Here's an exaggerated example of light and dark being added in a completely accurate and controlled manner.
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.00.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.00.35 PM.png