What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie trying to figure this out.

Djc242010

Hey guys! Hope all is well! I've done numerous searches and maybe my wording isn't correct but I cannot find a definitive answer for what I'm trying to do. I have a photo of my fathers 18 wheeler and my mom and I are going to over haul his truck for a Christmas present. I'm a diesel mechanic and my buddy is a painter. I have a copy of photoshop cc on my laptop and I've been messing around with the hue adjustment to change the color of his truck to what we think would be a good color but we know he wants a specific color. I found a picture of the exact color online and I'm unsure of how to change the color of his truck to this specific green he wants. What my question is is how do I take a picture of the car that has the color he wants and apply it to the picture of his truck on the cab of the truck? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

gedstar

Guru
Hi and Welcome to PSG

Open the image of the color he likes in PS and double click on the Foreground Color and then use the Eyedropper to select the color, make note of the HSB values and then apply a Hus/Saturation adjustment layer to the truck, you will of course need to make selections of the parts of the truck to change the color and clip to adjustment layer to the selection

Untitled.jpg

You could also use the Replace Color Option

color.jpg

color range.jpg

Last edited:

Djc242010

Gedstar. Thank you for your prompt reply! The foreground color.... is that the color I'm looking to take and copy to his truck? Also with the HSB adjustment. How do I get the one that has all those color adjustments? Couldn't I just copy the code at the bottom and apply it?

Djc242010

I guess what I am getting at is how do I make a layer mask that will change just the color of the vehicle and not the whole picture?

gedstar

Guru
Hi

Can you post the images of your fathers truck and the color you would like to change it to, I'll give you a detailed description of how to do it tomorrow if nobody else chimes in before hand.

Regards
Ged

Djc242010

Yes here are some.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Djc242010

This is the color he wants and what im trying to add over to his truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 15

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess what I am getting at is how do I make a layer mask that will change just the color of the vehicle and not the whole picture?
First, take a look at this video as it will explain about layer masking.
[video]https://phlearn.com/use-layer-masks-photoshop[/video]

The next thing is to understand how the selection will affect the layer mask.
If i make selection of a truck in a photo, notice the selection (ie marching ants) are around the truck.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.28.23 PM.png

So if I apply a reveal all layer mask, it will reveal whats inside the selection and hide what is outside the selection.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.35.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.30.14 PM.png

If my selection looks like this, note that the marching ants are also on the outer borders of the image.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.13 PM.png

The rule is the same, everything within the selection will be revealed and what is outside the selected area will be concealed.........in this example that is now the truck.
Now we apply a reveal all layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.29.52 PM.png

Now to answer your question, any adjustment layer with a layer mask that has only those items (such as the truck) that have been isolated with the layer mask will be affected.

Here I have added a layer mask of the truck selection (in my example) to a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer and I have changed the color of the truck only and not the (white) background.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.48.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.48.31 PM.png