What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about logo and deleting a background from a logo

Dzezvar

Hello to all! I'm a newbie to Photoshop and I am making a logo, but if I post it on a site, it still has a square white background. Logo looks like this:

logotip2.jpg

Now, I would like to remove the white square around the logo. Thank you for your answers.

gedstar

Guru
Hi and welcome to PSG

Make a selection of the white with the Magic Wand Tool and invert the selection by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + I
Then hit CTRL J to copy that section to a new layer and then do a File > SaveAs PNG

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
Absolutely how #gedstar did it - but also take the tick out of the "Contiguous" box and it will catch the bit of white in the loop of the lead (but I am sure you got that bit anyway!)

Cheers

John

gedstar

Guru
but also take the tick out of the "Contiguous" box and it will catch the bit of white in the loop of the lead

My bad, I only realized I missed that bit later on and assumed the OP figured that out :shocked:

Thanks for pointing that out John :thumbsup:

Dzezvar

Absolutely how #gedstar did it - but also take the tick out of the "Contiguous" box and it will catch the bit of white in the loop of the lead (but I am sure you got that bit anyway!)

Cheers

John

Well...I'll have to remember that for the next time :) I erased that a little bit of a white afterwards with Background Eraser Tool. Thank you for the tip :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As usual, there are many ways to do thing in Photoshop.

For a job of just removing a solid white BG, I would just use the Magic Eraser Tool.
Set the tools tolerance to 32.
Select/highlight the layer, Click once on the white. Done.

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 7.37.01 AM.png

Try it!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thats a feature I never used before Sam and it worked nicely and clean.
Never too old to learn...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thats a feature I never used before Sam and it worked nicely and clean.
Never too old to learn...
LOL! I use it all the time with solid white/color backgrounds, it seems to work really well. It is a destructive technique, so I will always duplicate the original and use the duplicate to create a layer mask if needed. If there are light areas adjacent to the white background, sometimes it will remove those as well and adjusting the tolerance doesn't always cure the problem.

It's not the best choice, but it does work well with solid color bg's.

Hi and welcome to PSG

Make a selection of the white with the Magic Wand Tool and invert the selection by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + I
Then hit CTRL J to copy that section to a new layer and then do a File > SaveAs PNG

View attachment 67903

View attachment 67904

Just curious, do you know why the background always fills with white when you save files as .jpg? Even if you have no background in your original image?

I have to do this this technique (savings as a png after eliminating the background) all the time for myself and others.

Agent

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Just curious, do you know why the background always fills with white when you save files as .jpg? Even if you have no background in your original image?

I have to do this this technique (savings as a png after eliminating the background) all the time for myself and others.

Agent

Because jpg/jpeg file format does not support transparency.

MrToM

Guru
...For a job of just removing a solid white BG, I would just use the Magic Eraser Tool...
Ah...I see that tool also doesn't have the "catch the bit of white in the loop of the lead" checkbox! :rofl:

You'd think Adobe would have put that option in by now.

Who am I kidding? :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.