What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving an image

Jerry D

Power User
I was reading this thread and was curious
about the "make it a more high quality" part.

How would you go about that?

The first thing that popped into my inexperienced head was take it to Illustrator,
trace, vectorize ( is that even a word? ) and enlarge it, then come back to Ps and change colors.
Come to think of it, maybe it could all be done in Illustrator ( I know even less about that than
Photoshop ).

But would it be "more high quality"?

fredfish

Guru
I suspect the OP in that thread is after something that is sharp and crisp and salable - so I agree with you about using Illustrator. Another option in this case would be to track down the font that was used to create the original and to use that. Like this one here http://fontmeme.com/donkey-kong-font/

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers

John

takinu

Banned
I

Come to think of it, maybe it could all be done in Illustrator ( I know even less about that than
Photoshop ).

But would it be "more high quality"?

Actually depends on purpose of using. When you think about web presentation, no need to add illustrator for getting high quality. Previous thread was perfect that you mentioned.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also agree that Illustrator may not be indicated in this case. However, if I were doing this for an actual paying client, I would probably use it.

Photoshop text is not exactly vector, but it's close enough for government work. I don't think that the original text that was used in the OP's example was Jumpman, but I really couldn't find an alternative.

I did not post it in that thread, but I recreated the logo to the OP's specs using Impact and I custom made the O's.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 10.56.51 AM.png

It was close but it lacked the rounded corners of the original which is why I did not offer it up. My next step with the recreation would have been to round the corners by turning the text into shapes and altering the paths.

Lucky for me the OP was satisfied with other options. But this is some insight as to how I was approaching the edit. By the way, each of these letters are on their own separate layers.

MrToM

Guru
I was reading this thread and was curious
about the "make it a more high quality" part.

How would you go about that?

The first thing that popped into my inexperienced head was take it to Illustrator........But would it be "more high quality"?

How are you defining "quality"...?

To me a pixel is a pixel is a pixel.....they are all the same "quality"....what would be a bad pixel?

What we as humans perceive as a recognisable "image" could though be of questionable "quality". It may be blurred, under-exposed, blown out, crooked or simply missing the focal point completely....bad photographer but the image "quality" is perfect.

I've never liked the term "quality" when it comes to digital images for this very reason of defining what "quality" is, especially as images can be created in many different ways.

Images made from scratch, real "art work" if you like, could be absolutely terrible as far as every conceivable aspect is concerned but it could also be of the most perfect "quality" in terms of condition....the best canvas, the finest brushstrokes, the best paint.....but the image sucks.

If you asked the OP what 'they' meant by "quality" you'd probably get some random answer about 'no jaggies' or 'being pixelated'.....hmmm, right.

The only way to improve what people perceive as bad "quality" is to redo the whole thing from scratch, which in most cases is impossible due to the image being of a one-off "photographic" nature.

In this case its a little easier.

Despite the actual 'font' not being found, which would have been the ideal, its easy enough to replicate with a little time and effort.

Do you need 'Illustrator' to do this?

Here is my version done 100% in Photoshop....the original image is at the top as a size comparison....

donkey_kong_MT_01.png

The image is waaaaay too big for the forum so the [zipped] PSD is below....you can make your own mind up if its good enough.

View attachment donkey_kong_MT_01.zip

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM What font did you use? Or did you customize it? I looked forever!

MrToM

Guru
...What font did you use?...
I didn't use a font mate...If you can't find it then what's the point looking? :rofl:

...Despite the actual 'font' not being found, which would have been the ideal, its easy enough to replicate with a little time and effort...
...I used everyones "get out of jail tool"....the Pen tool.

Took around 30 mins.

Regards.
MrToM.

Jerry D

Power User
Thank you, gentlemen, for your explanations and insights.

I understand the project could have been done from scratch with either Photoshop or Illustrator. But, for a free edit, I merely wondered what a "down and dirty"
method would be. Apparently the OP was satisfied. For my own information, I wanted to know if, using the posted image, an "upgrade" could be made for
printing to his specified size.

I believe, as fredfish said, "the OP in that thread is after something that is sharp and crisp and salable". Therefore, he got more than he paid for.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But, for a free edit, I merely wondered what a "down and dirty"
method would be. Apparently the OP was satisfied. For my own information, I wanted to know if, using the posted image, an "upgrade" could be made for
printing to his specified size.
Good point. Maybe we can get @gedstar to tell us how he did his edit.

I will almost never do these types of edits, but I will experiment to see what the best "down and dirty" method I can figure out might be.

MrToM

Guru
I was just answering the two questions you asked in your original post...

...How would you go about that?...
In this case, redraw it in PS.

...Come to think of it, maybe it could all be done in Illustrator... But would it be "more high quality"?...
Than PS? No. Than the original? Yes.

As for a 'down and dirty' method, well anyone who decides to do a 'free' edit will have some initial idea on how much time and effort they personally would have to put into an edit and to what standard of workmanship.

One member may have a 'quick and dirty' method which to others would be a weeks work.

Like IamSam I don't really do these 'free' edits either. This one I did at the time of the original request but never kept it. I did so again just to answer your questions about how 'I' would do it....and to illustrate if using 'Illustrator' would be of a 'more high quality'.

As for the OP getting 'more than he paid for'....isn't that true of every 'free' edit?

Regards.
MrToM.

Jerry D

Power User
As for the OP getting 'more than he paid for'....isn't that true of every 'free' edit?

That was just my poor attempt at being funny.

I didn't intend for anyone to spend much time with all of this. I thought I would get "Yes, it would help" or "No,it would not help". and a reason why.
I need to be more specific with my questions.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jerry, I think it was a great inquiry. I just wish I had a better answer for you.

I'm having a hard time finding a down and dirty method that works with any decent results. I would still remake the entire thing.