What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help fitting album art into my CD cover.

Zach Woolsey

Okay, so I have these two pictures that go into an album cover, front and back (along with the two sides of the case), and I only get one shot at printing both of the images (library printer). Here are the two photos:

International Superhits front.jpg International Superhits back and side.jpg

Right. So I imagine since the second image has both sides of the CD as well (where it says GREEN DAY: INTERNATIONAL SUPERHITS!), that it's slightly different in size since you have to fold those parts. I kinda did some inspection using Paint on how big they may be virtually, but yeah basically I have no idea what I'm doing. I never took Graphic Design in high school or anything, so can anyone help me out to fit these two into a case? Thanks so much in advance! :cheesygrin:

Last edited:
How about creating a document that is exactly the size you need? It should be the right size when you print it.

Go to FILE>NEW, then type in the exact dimensions (select inches) that you need. Then make your image fit those dimensions.

When you go to print it, the pop-up window should show you how big your image will be on A4 paper.

Agent

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, somebody check my work on this!!!

You should be able to print this exactly and it should be right.

CDJewelCaseTemplate_01.png

Jerry D

Power User
Depends on the size of the paper it's to be printed on. Yours, Mr. Sam, is 16.097 x 5.123 inches @ 72.009 ppi. There is a lot of white to the left of the first image. I did it with just a small margin around the images, moved up to 300 ppi, but still too large for standard size paper.

cd case inserts.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on the size of the paper it's to be printed on. Yours, Mr. Sam, is 16.097 x 5.123 inches @ 72.009 ppi. There is a lot of white to the left of the first image. I did it with just a small margin around the images, moved up to 300 ppi, but still too large for standard size paper.
Sorry for the bump, I just noticed Jerry's response.
Jerry D the white to the left is for the back of the cover insert, it's meant to be folded. I did this because from what I read online, if you don't, the cover insert tends to fall out.

fredfish

Guru
This .zip file contains a CD cover I did for a friends sons band a couple of years ago. The attached .psd files are set to exactly the right size and include a "bleed" area - always a good idea if you want good results.

In the psds just replace my images for your own.

I cant claim these templates as my own - they were downloaded from a print website that provided the templates - sorry I cant remember which one!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105077941/cd-tray-card 4 5 2.zip

I hope it helps.

Cheers

*EDIT - I spent too long uploading the files to dropbox and as a result I didnt see the other replies!

John

Last edited:

Jerry D

Power User
I was only pointing out the entire cover could not be printed on one sheet of A4 sized paper.
I've always done it just like John's excellent templates, on two sheets. Only, where he has the same image on the front and inside front,
I use different images, then fold those like you were saying.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was only pointing out the entire cover could not be printed on one sheet of A4 sized paper.
Yes, I completely understood your very valid point from your first post, I just wasn't sure you understood the reason behind the white to the left of the image. That's all.

Jerry D said:
There is a lot of white to the left of the first image.