What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing worries

Pipsmom

Guru
I've just started making a special imagine for Christmas to use as my signature on a dog forum that I moderate.
That project being hard enough for this Newby ........I'm panicking already that I won't be able to resize it to the permitted size permitted there ( 300x200) that will include all of it without cropping.
My project measures 2714x 1811 currently
Studing up on the resizing in PS........When the time comes and and I'm ready to resize....do I use the resample? It's really confusing me the more I read the more panicked I get that I won't be able to use all my hard work I plan on doing to it.
Previous work I have been saving to post in GIF (for web posting) Which one would give me the most clarity and detail as it's a crisp clear picture so far?
Can anyone tell me if this is going to be possiable before I put to many days into this project?

TonyCooper

Your image at 2714 x 1811 is in the same 3:2 ratio (or near enough) as the desired size of 300 x 200.
You can set the crop to 300 x 200 at the desired ppi and you will have a sharp image at the right size.
without losing any of your image. For web display, a ppi of 72 to 100 is sufficient.

If you aren't familar with ratio concept:
900 x 2 = 1800 100 x 2 = 200
900 x 3 = 2700 100 x 3 = 300

Tom Mann

Guru
TonyCooper - I'm sorry to have to correct you, but for web use, the ppi number contained in the image metadata doesn't make an iota of difference. The only thing that matters is the dimensions of the image in number of pixels along each axis. This has been discussed many times in this and other forums. If you want to check it out for yourself, just do an experiment.

Tom M

PS - a conceptually much easier way for the OP to think about this is to simply have her go to the image size dialog box (ie, not use the crop tool), make sure the "resample" option is selected, have her change the units to pixels, and enter either the 200 or the 300 number in the appropriate box. Since this is a reduction in the number of pixels, she will get the best results with the re-sampling method set to either "automatic" or "bicubic sharper".

Last edited:

Pipsmom

Guru
Thanks guys! By chance what format to save it in...my usual is GIF for web display...Is that alright?

Tom Mann

Guru
The most common file format for photographic type images is a jpg in the sRGB color space.

In the last few years, probably the most common format for a graphic, especially if it has transparent areas, is a compressed PNG (untagged with respect to color space)

Tom M

TonyCooper

Actualy, I know that a ppi number is not needed. However, the crop function in Photoshop has a space in which ppi can be added. It
doesn't have to be added, but it can be. Some people are uncomfortable having something that can be
added but not knowing what to add, so I include a ppi number. Doesn't hurt to use it.