What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actual Size vs Phone Resolution

Arend Pryor

Hi there. I have an app I'm working on where I'd like to display the "actual size" of a ring on the screen. There are multiple sizes of rings and each has a very specific size (some in inches, some in millimeters).

I found a sizing chart online (pdf document) that included the "actual size" of the rings I was interested in using. The printable pdf allows you to take a ring and match it up with one on the sheet, in order to determine the actual size. I opened the pdf in Photoshop, which converted each ring image to an image, which was great, and gave me the size in pixels.

I moved this image to xCode, then to an iPhone 5 to test it out and it was much smaller than expected. I then drew an oval with a stroke and through trial and error, I increased the size of the oval until the size displayed on the iPhone 5 screen matched with a physical ring of the expected size (used for testing), by placing it on the screen. Awesome! But then, I tested it out on an iPhone 7 Plus and the ring image was larger than expected.

Now, I'm aware that each phone has a different resolution and this is what's causing the problem. What I'd like to figure out, is the best way to approach this problem. If I have the exact measurement of an item/ring, is there a way to calculate what the measurement in pixels should/will be for each resolution of phone so it displays correctly? Any help is much appreciated. Some measurements are included below.

Physical size: 11/16 inch
Pixel measurement from pdf import: W: 49.68px x H: 49.8px
Trial & Err - Correct Measurement on iPhone 5: W: 115px x H: 115px (Resolution = 326ppi)
iPhone 7 Plus: Haven't gone through the trial and error to get the right measurement yet. (401ppi)