What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fading the edges of a shape!

Shane Slater

I'm trying to fade the edges (not centre) of a shape which i have done so far through layer masking with the gradient tool and then inverting the mask. It is rather difficult however to centre the gradient properly so that it fades out equally in each direction. Is there an easier way to do this?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Shane.

Can you post the shape please. I will have to see it, there are several ways to do it depending on the shape.

Shane Slater

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 20.12.10.pngIts just this very simple shape for now. It's likely i'll be exploring this further so if you have the time could you explain the different ways also?
Many thanks!

Rich54

Guru
Maybe I don't fully understand your question, but I easily faded the edges using a layer mask and a radial gradient.

1. Create the shape on its own layer and add a layer mask to it.
2. Apply a white-to-black radial gradient from the center of your shape.Extend the radial gradient to whatever size you need, and it fades the edges equally in all directions.

shape.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Shane, not sure what your showing in post #3. Doesn't look like a shape to me, maybe your zoomed in on it.

This is a shape
Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 8.05.26 AM.png

This is a shape with faded edges.
Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 8.05.33 AM.png

You can vary the degree of the fade as well as the feather in the fade transition.

If this is what your asking about, let me know and I will explain.