What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I achieve this effect?

James Bentley

Hello everyone,

First post here (so please be nice :cheesygrin:)

Basically, I'm looking to achieve the below shadow effect with any font. I know how to use drop shadow, but it doesn't give the same effect, as it keeps a gap between the front text and the back shadow. I'm looking to get the below effect, where the drop shadow is basically repeated infinitely behind the font, I guess almost like an extrusion effect.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 19.35.58.png

I've played around with the 3D stuff, but don't really understand it, and can't get the effect I want.

Surely there's got to be an easy way?

Thanks!

James

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I do this the old school way.

First I created the text.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.54.00 PM.png

Then I added a stroke.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.54.11 PM.png

Then I right clicked the FX icon on the right side of the text layer-layers panel.
I then chose "create layer"
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.55.18 PM.png

This separates the text and the stroke into two layers.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.56.03 PM.png

I then chose the separated stroke layer.

Hold down the Option and Command keys and keep holding........don't let go until your done! Then you hit the 'down' directional arrow once, then the 'left' directional arrow once.....repeat........keep doing this until you get the "shadow" where you want it. When your done, you can let go of the Option and Command keys.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.52.03 PM.png

You can select all the "shadow" layers and merge them or group them.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 8.04.37 PM.png

Should work with most text.

Here's another Tutorial I found if you have CC

http://layersmagazine.com/create-a-long-shadow-text-effect-in-photoshop-using-layer-styles.html