What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I do this?

jrgdz

Hello Guys, I just registered to ask this. I am a newbie and I would really appreciate your help.

I have a bunch of images like these ones.

Some drawings in a white sheet of paper. However, the white sheet of paper looks grey, due to the lighting at the moment of taking the picture.

What I want to do is, make the white part look completely white, without affecting the colors of the drawings at all. (If there is a way to do it to a bunch of different images at the same time, that would save me tons of time)

Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• this one too.JPG
    this one too.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • this too.JPG
    this too.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • this.JPG
    this.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
JRGZ,

Welcome to the forum.

The effect you are looking to do is definitely possible. It all depends on how much time you want to spend.

Take a look at the image below. This took about 2 minutes.

I opened up the magician image in Ps, duplicated the layer, then added a LEVELS adjustment to the copied layer, adding a clipping mask.

So I'll break it down into some basic steps.

After you duplicate your layer, click on the half-filled-in circle icon at the bottom of your layers panel (see small red circle). select LEVELS from the pop-up menu, then slide the two outside (black and white) sliders inward, until you are happy with the results.

Right click on this LEVELS adjustment layer, and choose "Create Clipping Mask" from the menu.

Create a new layer above your original background layer (use the square icon with the folded corner in your layers panel) and fill that layer with white (make your foreground color white and hit ALT+Backspace).

Next click on your copied image layer, and use the eraser to erase whatever parts of the gray paper background are still visible.

You should get something similar to what I have.

Agent

Attachments

• magician_ps.jpg
    magician_ps.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0

jrgdz

Hello Angent.

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Got it, I will try this and let you guys know how it went.

Again, thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

As always, there's more than one way to do things in Photoshop.

In order to preserve the color of the drawing, I would use COLOR RANGE to make a first selection of the back ground.
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 2.58.57 AM.png

Then I would use the Quick Selection Tool to clean up that selection............
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 2.52.28 AM.png

The I would use that selection to create a layer mask.

With an all white layer beneath it, it will look like this.........
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 2.57.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 2.57.29 AM.png

jrgdz

Thank you Very much IamSam. This was a much easier way to do it. I really appreciate it! You guys are awesome