What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Newby Challenge To all that are learning like myself

Pipsmom

Guru
Found a real good one to practice on with varying success but can only get it so far ....mainly problems with missing pixels in the background and transfer from being stored improperly I think.....So let's learn something this week.
Way to much Do It For Me from people not serious about learning to do it themselves on here ....so thought of a topic where we learners can educate ourselves from gentle leadership of the pro's ...
Learning is fun ...So calling and challenging All Newby's like myself...Have a go and do your best work...then we have the teachers evaluate our work and tell us how to do better.
Low resolution picture..so you get what you see in this original
Come on and join the fun

IMG_4233.JPG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great challenge! I hope you get some participants other than our usual core group of active members.

Good luck!

Pipsmom

Guru
Going to give it my best shot Sam.

Found out just now the area directly behind her suppose to be a old log cabin and the remaining house is a add on. ........Come on Newbys let's try to find it now

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'm a big nostalgic and I like these worn out photo's imagining who once held it in their hands looking at it.
I'll do it anyway but will not post the result until some members did...

Pipsmom

Guru
I'm eagerly waiting to see that Eggy and tell us how you achieved it so that those of us trying to learn can do it properly. I know I do way to many steps right now but with no guidance where do you turn?
I'm really big into restoration now but so little good knowledge is out there to show us how it suppose to be done. I'd love to see those of us that are thirsty for knowledge get the instructions we all look for.
I've asked for my grandfathers old photo's to be photographed and sent over to me as they are in Georgia and I'm stuck in England with no work to practice on....Other newbys might have the same thoughts...restore your own old images and learn from them first.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can see your eagerness to learn. You can't learn just by looking at the end result of our efforts, you have to know how that result was achieved. If Eggy or any of the rest of us just restore the image without explaining (in detail) how we did each step, then you won't learn much.

Maybe a better way for this process would be for you to show us your progress on the the restoration and to ask for our advice when you've hit a wall.

Pipsmom

Guru
That's exactly what I was thnking Sam, you explained my idea better then I did. I see a lot of already edited photos here and wonder how in the world did he achieve that ( the steps)........ I'm always full of questions and experiementing which a lot of the time end up in the trash bin and start over. Now and again I get so far then realise it needs something else...but what I don't know or achieve a perfect layer only to destroy it in another in blending options
I only hope the rest of the newbys that drop by want to learn from you guys as much as I do and not have you just do it for us, that's not learning

Pipsmom

Guru
You've done good so far......I know what your talking about with the low quality it's something I run across often as I get most of mine through email.
I threw three attempts away before I finally landed on a semi good attempt this afternoon...16 layers and still going lol. Global only goes so far....try selecting areas instead and you will tweet out more control of shadow and light
Here's some of my findings that you can tweet out quite a bit more if you give it a try..
Isolate areas separately ( example the dress, or the mailbox) with the quick select...then use the adjust hue and saturation...go into each color separately ...really spend a lot of time adjusting and watch what imagine come to life.....So much you can do this way to get colour. Don't look at the whole picture rather work in small sections piece by piece.
Use your Quick select to harvest small areas from the dress's good right side and transfer to match on the left faded side .....CMD C, CMD V, V, CMD T, flip horizontal and match it to the left side, adjust opacity to match, warp to shape match....Then follow with clone tool to blend in seamlessly....Play around with it like your placing a piece in a zig saw puzzle....You can do it! I sure did.
Use dodge to lighten and burn to darken area that need a little help....Go into the submenu on each adjusting highlight, shadow, medium contrast.....Magic happens at low application of % ..keep it around 2-5 adjust higher or lower as needed.
Use separate layers for each so if you make a mistake and hate it, you can delete and try again .
I have had to crop heavily from the left...it's just not worth spoiling the picture when everything isn't there pixel wise....concentrate more on Her.
Put her back on your board and give it another try .....let's see what we can come up with....... It's not what the pro's would do but what we are doing today they can give us pointers tomarrow.
Tomarrow I go into Stage two.....Let's meet back here tomarrow and compare what we have done so far. Ok?

Last edited:

Pipsmom

Guru
Heres where I am now just as a example...tomarrow more work........ but you can see how to bring out life and color to these bad pictures just by breaking down the bad parts and addressing them separate.....
P/S Not yet Pro's this is only work in progress.....bear with me ...its not ready to be judged quite yet

Screen shot at end of today

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 21.18.33.png

Pipsmom

Guru
Think I have gone as far as I can.....36 layers later its the best I can do without over working it. I did only spot sharpen here and there .... thought since the resolution was off on the left it would look obvious what I have done if I took it any more.
My final rendition.. How is my learning coming along Pro's?

End 36 layer Old Woman ORGINAL copy copy.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That is a nice result considering the condition of the photo.
Just maybe add a high pass filter at 3px to sharpen the image.

Last edited:

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you Eggy. Your compliment made me feel great pride in my work piece ..I love doing restoration.....especially the frustrating bad ones. Lovin PS