What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Free Transform Tool and Radius

skiabox

Hello guys.
I am watching a udemy tutorial and the tutor says that the Free Transform Tool (Cmd + T) destroys the Radius of a round rectangle when you try to make it wider (so he suggests that one should use Direct Selection Tool instead).
I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 and it seems that the radius stays the same after I use the Cmd + T tool to make the round rectangle wider.
Maybe that was the case in older Photoshop versions?
Thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know in CS6, if you try and make a rounded rectangle longer using Free Transform, it does indeed distort the radius.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.04.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.04.13 AM.png

fredfish

Guru
I suspect (but cant be sure) that what the tutorial means is that the free transform tool wont necessarily keep the radius settings of the rounded rectangle tool.

What I mean is that if you draw a rectangle with the rounded rectangle tool and set the radius of the corners to say 15 - then if you use the direct selection tool and increase the size of the rounded rectangle the radius of the corner will stay at 15. If you hugely increase the size of the rounded rectangle in this way then you will gradually reduce the effect of the radius (as the radius will proportionately get smaller.

If you use the free transform tool then the size of the of the radius increases proportionately with the size of the rectangle.

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers

John

*EDIT post crossed with sam.

skiabox

IamSam : It seems that with Photoshop CC 2017 that I use the radius stays the same when I do the above move.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IamSam : It seems that with Photoshop CC 2017 that I use the radius stays the same when I do the above move.
Great! Now to know! Just use the free transform and disregard the instruction to use the Direct Selection Tool.

skiabox

Yeap!This is exactly what I am going to do since Direct Selection Tool is still very advanced for my photoshop beginner level!
:thumbsup:

See for yourself.Every pixel stays the same after the transformation.

63c75a57bd.png

Last edited: