What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torn fabric effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry I was wrong about what I said above. I've edited it out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
See, thats the thing. I need the underlying layer to be white. The tear or rip is supposed to look like the camo pattern fabric has been torn and it reveals a white fabric under it.
Using your technique, just by adding a texture (Pattern Overlay) improves the effect somewhat.
Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 11.11.59 AM.png

danman03

Okay, what about this. Is there a way to use the rip vector shape as an eraser or just cut that shape out of the arm and then add layer effects to make it look natural?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, what about this. Is there a way to use the rip vector shape as an eraser or just cut that shape out of the arm and then add layer effects to make it look natural?
Sure. You could use a layer mask. The problem is that you would only see whats underlying the masked out area, which would be the green sleeve.

As I said above if you don't want the green, you will have to create the underlying texture and shading.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks much better! The elbow area still needs some work, but that looks a little more believable. Good job!

danman03

Looks much better! The elbow area still needs some work, but that looks a little more believable. Good job!
Thanks! I still wish I could get my effect to look as good as yours. Your shadows looks more real and the bevel is more apparent in yours than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.