What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torn fabric effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

danman03

Hey all, I'm working on a design for a friend. He is wanting a design to look like it is torn or ripped that reveals another design underneath. I'm using an inner shadow to give it some depth, but my friend thinks it looks like the tear is raised up over the design. Does that make sense? Basically I think I'm looking for an embossed look, I think. Does anyone have any pointers that will help me enhance the effect?

Attachments

• sleeve_mock.jpg
    sleeve_mock.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 9

Argos

Guru
I dont know if i understand what you're looking for, my english is limited XD.

I think is a little too much, i went for a more natural look, its a fast example and only one arm (i'm a little tired right now)

sleeve_mock2.jpg

Cheers!

BTW: i think you need to add some light and shadows on that blue texture for realism.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
A few suggestions:
1. Do a Google image search of 'torn fabric' to get some real examples to try to copy (such as the image below).
2. I think your attempt is too uniform, which does make the tear look like it's floating above the arm. The inner shadow is the same all the way around and the white edge is too "clean". Rather than using the canned effects in photoshop (inner shadow; stroke; etc.), try manually drawing them yourself, making them lighter in some places and heavier in other places. Also try to draw some fraying effects such as loose threads or places where the original material is not fully torn apart.
3. Try to match the lighting of your effect with the lighting of the subject. If you look carefully at the subject's face, he seems very evenly lit from all sides. There are almost no shadows, and the ones under his eyes and jaw are barely there. Therefore the shadows on your tear effect should be similar. In your example, I think your inner shadow and white stroke are both too intense and too well-defined. Perhaps if you reduce the intensity of both by 60% or more it will start to look more realistic.

fabric.jpg

danman03

Thanks for the tips. What I'm doing is just a quick mockup of what the arm sleeves would look like with the torn effect, I don't really need the shadows to match up across the image. The guy is basically just a model. This image won't be used for anything else other than showing my friend my design. I'm just having a hard time with blending the tear in with that digital camo pattern. This is kind of the effect I am going for, just with out all of the extra rips. I just want 1 long tear down the arm.superman.jpg

danman03

I did make this mock up and I think it looks really good and I want to give it the same look with the digital camo, but I just think the pattern is making it hard for the shadows to show.

arm.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

In the first image that you posted, I don't think the problem is with the tear effect, I think it's the camo. It does not look natural. It looks pasted on.

Can you post the original image that you started with, before you added the camo?

danman03

Here is the original image and the pattern I used. I tried making my own template, so that could be why it doesn't look natural or real.

6021-zoom-Neon-Green.jpgblue_camo.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks.

I'm working on a version to show what I would do...............but I keep getting interrupted! Life ya know!

I'll post when I can.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, this was done really fast so it's not perfect.

The first thing I did was to isolate the two sections of the sleeve and place them on their own separate layers.
I then used Free Transform to size the digital camo to scale and duplicated the scaled version several times.

For the forearm I then used Puppet warp to bend one of the duped camo layers around the natural curves of the arm.
(note: I lowered the camo layers opacity so I could see through it)
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 8.52.27 PM.png

I then clipped this layer to the forearm layer and restored the opacity back to 100%.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.06.08 PM.png

I repeated the process for the Bicep area.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.04.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.05.25 PM.png

Combined. Already it looks better.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.08.26 PM.png

Then I added a new layer on top for the shading.
By Cmd/Cntrl + clicking the layer mask of the forearm, I created this selection.
Highlighting the Shading layer, I then used the Brush Tool to add in shading.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.10.59 PM.png

By Cmd/Cntrl + clicking the layer mask of the Bicep, I created this selection.
Highlighting the Shading layer, I then used the Brush Tool to add in shading.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.12.45 PM.png

And here's a much more believable starting point for the tear effect.
These sleeves look more real than just pasted on.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.15.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.30.46 PM.png

danman03

That does look a lot better. I'll use your directions and see if I can match your results, then I'll see if I can get that rear effect to look better.

All I'm supposed to be doing for my friend is designing a tear effect that he can use to print on his arm sleeves, but I guess when you're trying to look professional, the mockup has to look professional too.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Then you just make a stamp visible layer......
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.36.38 PM.png

Add this to your Duplicate Original and create the tear effect.....
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 9.50.10 PM.png

danman03

IamSam, what effects did you use on the rip? It looks like you may have used an inner glow and then went around with a brush and added shadows or highlights.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IamSam, what effects did you use on the rip? It looks like you may have used an inner glow and then went around with a brush and added shadows or highlights.
Nope! All layer style. Bevel and Emboss and Inner shadow.

danman03

I'm still not having very much luck with the shadows. Could it be because of the white ripped shape? It just doesn't seem natural. I'll attach the shape I'm using for the rip. I think the camo sleeves look much better though.

test.jpg

Attachments

• rip.png
    rip.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the camo sleeves look much better!

How are you creating the tear? Can you post a screenshot of your layers panel?

danman03

Basically, I'm importing a vector as a smart object and placing it on top of my arm layers. Then I am trying to use layer styles to blend them together

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.13.54 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the screenshot.

Your vector/tear layer does not offer a representation of what lies beneath the missing or torn away material of the sleeve.
There's no texture or shading.

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong.

If you dont want the underlying layer to be the green sleeve, then you will have to replace it or add texture and shading to your vector layer.

danman03

Thanks for the screenshot.

Your vector/tear layer does not offer a representation of what lies beneath the missing or torn away material of the sleeve.
There's no texture or shading.

If you dont want the underlying layer to be the green sleeve, then you will have to replace it or add texture and shading to your vector layer.
See, thats the thing. I need the underlying layer to be white. The tear or rip is supposed to look like the camo pattern fabric has been torn and it reveals a white fabric under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.