What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Metallic layers

fordguy1

Hi guy's , I need some help with metallic layers ,

I paint car templates and I want to put metallic layers on my templates .

So I have the car template and I also have the metallic layers identical to the template.

So what I need to know how to do is get the metallic layers onto my car template.

So what I mean I want the metallic layers in the same layer column as my template.

Please explain in very basic English as I am not that Photoshop savvy.

I am using Photoshop CS6

Many Thanks Rob

Attachments

• metallic chateau 10.JPG
    metallic chateau 10.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 4

fredfish

Guru
I had a little bit of difficulty understanding what you are after.

Are you saying that you already have a Metallic image that you want to in effect "lay" over the image of the car with the metallic layer following the contours of the car?

If so have a go at using something called "displacement maps". Search google for a tutorial - here is one, it places a flag on a persons torso - but the principle is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1YJh_DHloM

You would then use a mask to make sure the metallic layer only appears where you want it.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Fordguy - To be honest, like Fredfish, I am also having difficulty understanding what you want. Another possibility is that you eventually want to have your designs printed, and you want to use metallic ink in some places on the design. For example, see: http://www.printingforless.com/Printing-With-Metallic-Ink.html

If that's the case, you need to be looking at what are called "spot color channels" in Photoshop. Either just Google {spot color channel photoshop} and read through some of the hits, or become familiar with the concept by reading some of these:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/printing-spot-colors.html
http://layersmagazine.com/spot-color-separations-in-photoshop-cs5.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZXEELo8nyk
etc.

HTH,

Tom M

fordguy1

This is what I am trying to do , I hope I have made it a little clearer

Attachments

• bhg.JPG
    bhg.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 30

sc00t

This is no more clear to me. If you are wanting to create something that then prints in a "metallic" colour you need to do as Tom Mann said and look up "Spot Colours" for Photoshop.

Can you explain to us what the project is, what it entails, and what the end result is anticipated to be (and by that I don't meant the end result in photoshop, I mean the actual finished article; whether it be a car wrap that looks chrome, or whatever) this should help clarify

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand that you have a document that you are calling a 'template', used for making changes to an existing image of a car.

I understand that you already have the 'metallic layers'.

I understand that your trying to add the 'metallic layers' to an existing document and in a particular place in the layers panel.

The problem I have is that I don't know what the metallic layers are, what their purpose is, and how they are being used or going to be used in your document/template. Just showing us a screenshot of the layers panel is not much help at all.

If your not able to fully explain yourself using common Ps terminology, then your absolute best bet would be to upload (or link) the PSD file as well as the metallic layers (if they are not part of that file) and let us take a look at them.

fordguy1

I am sorry I don't have the photoshop terminology to explain what I am after so I am just going to forget about it.

Thank you all for you're replies I really do appreciate you trying to help.

Many Thanks Robert

sc00t

Hey Robert,

No need for terminology - don't overthink it. Just tell us in simple terms what it is you're aiming to achieve and I'm sure we can help you achieve it.

-S

fordguy1

I really don't know what to say other than what I have already said, I thought I said it as simple as I can, but obviously not.

What can I say other than I'm stupid.

Cheers Robert

Jerry D

Power User
What file extention do your 'metallic layers'.have....jpg, png, bmp?

fordguy1

I watched the video you posted and followed it exactly as was done and it won't upload .'

Sorry guys

fordguy1

I have tried 4 times now to upload the PSD File after watching the video but without success

gedstar

Guru
There's a 30mb limit on the size of the PSD you can upload, if it's larger you'll have to use one of the file hosting sites I mentioned previously

Jerry D

Power User
So what I mean I want the metallic layers in the same layer column as my template.

If I understand correctly, you want your metallic layers in the same layer stack in your psd file.
If so, open the psd, click on File....then Place, in that window navigate to where your metallic layers
are stored and click on one of them. This should place your new layer in the stack and you can
then move it to where you want it. Of course, this depends on if your metallic layers are in a format
that Ps can open.