What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I clean up scanned images in CS6?

Hotsuma

Hello! How do I go about cleaning up the noise in a scanned image / document in CS6? I scan my images with a Ricoh Aficio SP 311SFNw printer and whenever I print out those images, the whole page comes out grey (tons of digital noise). This does not happen if I were to scan and print an image with just the printer, however, the image would be kind of dark but no digital noise. This is what I'm talking about: It's the same way with scanned images. They all come out looking dirty. The page should be pure white with black text.

Attachments

• JPG-2.jpg
    JPG-2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Almost all modern multifunction printer/scanner/Fax/etc. machines are able to switch between:

(1) a mode that ensures that pure black and white originals (eg, black text on white paper) are scanned or printed as pure B&W; and
(2) a mode that ensures that continuous tone (ie, gray scale or "contone") originals (eg, photographs) are scanned and/or are printed as continuous tone output.

As I expected, your device has this capability. The manual is here:
http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi/0001048/0001048464/VM1568602A/M1568602A.pdf

Here is a screen grab of a couple of pages in the manual that describes the basics of these two modes:

2017-02-02_061502-Ricoh_document_type_settings.jpg

My guess is that you simply didn't select or even check the settings when you experienced the problem. Other sections of the manual describe in more detail how to adjust the settings when your device is operating in its various functions (eg, as a scanner, as a printer, as a FAX machine, etc.). Devices such as this have become so complicated, it is almost essential to read the manual that came with the device.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - When you switch your device from contone originals to B&W, internally, it does almost exactly the same thing that Gedstar showed you how to do after-the-fact in Photoshop.

Last edited:

Hotsuma

Almost all modern multifunction printer/scanner/Fax/etc. machines are able to switch between:

(1) a mode that ensures that pure black and white originals (eg, black text on white paper) are scanned or printed as pure B&W; and
(2) a mode that ensures that continuous tone (ie, gray scale or "contone") originals (eg, photographs) are scanned and/or are printed as continuous tone output.

As I expected, your device has this capability. The manual is here:
http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi/0001048/0001048464/VM1568602A/M1568602A.pdf

Here is a screen grab of a couple of pages in the manual that describes the basics of these two modes:

View attachment 71253

My guess is that you simply didn't select or even check the settings when you experienced the problem. Other sections of the manual describe in more detail how to adjust the settings when your device is operating in its various functions (eg, as a scanner, as a printer, as a FAX machine, etc.). Devices such as this have become so complicated, it is almost essential to read the manual that came with the device.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - When you switch your device from contone originals to B&W, internally, it does almost exactly the same thing that Gedstar showed you how to do after-the-fact in Photoshop.

Well, I tried all of those settings including some combinations and they refuse to come out looking exactly like the scanned image. But I have seen a major improvement with the quality, so I'm not going to complain about it. Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
At this point, if you want to get the best out of your device now, and into the future, your best bet would be to contact Ricoh technical support or a Ricoh help forum. I'm sure they would know exactly how to do this. Don't forget this is a Photoshop educational forum and it's unlikely anyone here would have personal experience with your device. I happen to own a similar multifunction printer/scanner/FAX machine, but it's made by Canon, so the menus on it are completely different from those on your device.

The best of luck.

Tom M