What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did they achieve this cut?

Cody Clark

Hello again! Thanks for all the help on my first post. For this one, I want to knowhow they cut the red part on the left. I have the basketball wood background I'd like to use, but am trying to figure out how to do that type of cut in Photoshop.

Cheers!

16230912_1252817468133240_526581690777206784_n.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Cody.

This is a simple effect. Go ahead and upload the wood court background and we can show you how to do this.

sc00t

1.jpg
open your photograph (this is low quality, but you get the idea)

2.jpg
Paste in your floor (or place, whichever)

3.jpg
Select the "Pen" tool and, holding the shift key on your keyboard, draw the straight lines where you want to make the "cut" (mask) - Make sure at the top of Photoshop the dropdown says "Path", not shape or pixels.

4.jpg
Here you can see how I've gone off the artboard with the pen tool, all around the section you want to KEEP visible. Join the selection back where you started.

5.jpg

Click the "mask" button at the bottom of the layers palette, this will create the above mask. This is the mask button: mask.jpg

You can move the layer with the basketball player now, so he's in the right spot.

6.jpg

Create a new layer, and fill it with your desired colour.

Hold CTRL + Click on the "black and white" mask section to the right of the layer containing your floormask1.jpg

Whilst the red layer is still selected, again click the mask button at the bottom of the layers pallette.

at the top of the layers pallette you'll see a drop down that says "Normal" - change this to multiply.

7.jpg

You should have this.

Now just add text, basketball team logos, whatever else.

8.jpg

Cody Clark

Wonderful!! That makes sense. Wasn't sure if it was the pen tool or some other way to go about it. Thanks for the advice!

Cody Clark

View attachment 71509
open your photograph (this is low quality, but you get the idea)

View attachment 71510
Paste in your floor (or place, whichever)

View attachment 71511
Select the "Pen" tool and, holding the shift key on your keyboard, draw the straight lines where you want to make the "cut" (mask) - Make sure at the top of Photoshop the dropdown says "Path", not shape or pixels.

View attachment 71512
Here you can see how I've gone off the artboard with the pen tool, all around the section you want to KEEP visible. Join the selection back where you started.

View attachment 71513

Click the "mask" button at the bottom of the layers palette, this will create the above mask. This is the mask button: View attachment 71514

You can move the layer with the basketball player now, so he's in the right spot.

View attachment 71515

Create a new layer, and fill it with your desired colour.

Hold CTRL + Click on the "black and white" mask section to the right of the layer containing your floorView attachment 71516

Whilst the red layer is still selected, again click the mask button at the bottom of the layers pallette.

at the top of the layers pallette you'll see a drop down that says "Normal" - change this to multiply.

View attachment 71517

You should have this.

Now just add text, basketball team logos, whatever else.

View attachment 71518

Thank you! I use the pen tool here, but can't get it to cut away the part like in your photo. Do I not have something selected properly?Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.31.58 AM.png

sc00t

What do you mean? Can you show me a screenshot of where you're up to?

Thanks

sc00t

You have added a layer of green I see.

Look at your layers pallette, see how there is an "eye" to the left of two layers, no eye next to the green? Click where the eye should be, it will make the green visible.

Keep the CTRL key held down on your keyboard and click on the small black & white image to the right of the small wooden floor image in your layers pallette (i.e., click on the mask)

Click back on the green layer in your layers pallette.

Click the layers mask.