What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help fixing this drawing of a Pyramid

Nibblet

Untitled.png

I drew this Pyramid using traditional non-digital drawing methods. It's part of a larger art piece but the fact that I drew the Pyramid inaccurately is really bugging me. The front facing edge should run along the line highlighted in red on the left. But instead it follows this very odd and wrong-looking path highlighted in blue on the right. I've scanned in my drawing and I'd like to fix it digitally but I'm not really sure how to do this. I do have a small amount of Photoshop knowledge but I still don't know exactly what every tool does. I'd appreciate someone running through how to fix this for me. Thanks. Also this is my first ever thread here so sorry if I did something wrong.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I think the problem is the perspective of the entire pyramid is off. A two point perspective above the horizon line would have been the proper technique for this drawing.

Two points on the HL, and drawing above the HL
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.45.59 PM.png

Draw a cross in the (base) box from corner to corner in order to find center.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.46.39 PM.png

Then draw a vertical line upwards.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.47.39 PM.png

Then add the sides.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.52.53 PM.png

And finally the bottom.
Turn off the reference lines.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.54.36 PM.png

In your drawing, you can see how things are out of perspective with the base.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.01.30 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Great explanation, Sam!

Many decades ago, I first encountered perspective as a sophomore in high school taking a mechanical / technical drawing class. I was absolutely blown away by the power of construction and analysis techniques such as you used. You would have made my very precise, very old-school German mechanical drawing teacher smile. :)

Tom M

Jerry D

Power User
I used the pen tool to cut out sections and just about all the transform tools on each one. I played with it about an hour and got this..

Untitled-a.png

It's better but still not right. May be better to just redraw it. Just my 2¢.

Maybe working on a larger image would help.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very sorry, ran out of time last night and could not explain how I would fix the problem.

First I would use the Pen Tool to separate the base (bottom) fro the top of the pyramid.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 8.18.19 AM.png
Turn on my corrected perspective lines...........which should be on a layer(s)/group above the pyramid layer.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 8.18.45 AM.png

Back on the pyramid layer, we us the Free Transform Tool to "cheat" the perspective.
Here I use the 'skew' option in free transform to adjust the pyramid.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 8.19.03 AM.png

Use the center control handle while holding the shift key.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 8.19.53 AM.png
You should use any of the free transform options to line up the pyramid.

Here it is re-aligned and the base layer turned back on.
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 8.20.08 AM.png

As for the surface on the right, I would use the same technique.
I would use the Pen Tool to isolate and select the right side surface, then adjust it with free transform.

Here's a fast example.........
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 11.01.25 PM.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jerry D

Power User
After you transform the right side surface, how to get the "mortar" lines to align with the left side? That's the problem I had before.
Since you're stretching the image the lines grow, too. The only way I could think of, if you had a larger image, was to cut out each
set of lines with the pen tool and place them, transforming as needed. Is there a better way?

Mindkey

I did this by first creating a pyramid shape layer behind the original. Then selecting the top and bottoms of the pyramid and using the warp tool to transform them into the correct angles. I then opened up the pyramid using the liquify tool to straighten the brick lines some. You could mess around with it more to make it look cleaner. Not saying this is the correct way to do it, just a quick method I used :)
pyrimid.jpg
pyrimid2.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did this by first creating a pyramid shape layer behind the original. Then selecting the top and bottoms of the pyramid and using the warp tool to transform them into the correct angles. I then opened up the pyramid using the liquify tool to straighten the brick lines some. You could mess around with it more to make it look cleaner. Not saying this is the correct way to do it, just a quick method I used :)
Looks great. One note is that you changed the view of the pyramid from a below eye level to an eye level or side view. There's no doubt it looks good but it's changes the viewpoint of the original drawing. Just a note.

Nibblet

Thank you so much! I didn't know the perspective on the pyramid was that much off, It's pretty difficult to draw perfectly accurate perspective free-hand. I followed your advice and fixed the entire perspective of the pyramid. On the left is the original drawing and on the right is the one I fixed. It's still not perfect but I think it looks a whole lot better now.

Untitled.png

Mindkey

Amazing work!! That is something Id like hanging in my house. Do you have a link to more of your work?