What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faded picture

Pipsmom

Guru
Got a tough cookie to crack with this picture. I've read and read on here and applied different techniques...channels, shadows highlights, saturation, multiply......and the noise! oh my goodness the noise..... but nothing is working the way I want. Can you guys give me some guidance bringing this out of the fade so I can colorise and restore it or is it just too far gone?

IMG_4585.JPG

IMG_4591.JPG

Pipsmom

Guru
Playing around this is about as clear as I can get it tonight....what else does it need?
On second thought think I will learn some tips first from the new restoration topic just made and try agin afterwards...

IMG_4598.JPG

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
I strugle myself a lot wiith the noise, sharpening , it's one of my weakness XD. but i think in the case the best solution is clean and recreate the face skin (not and easy job). But maybe i'm wrong lets hear another opinions XD.

Cheers!

bbq_bob

This is a tough one. You can tease some separation between the background and the foreground using the curve tool. I then used a good deal of sharpening and noise reduction, but in doing so, it damages the face. I think you would just have to use the healing tool liberally. After playing with the curves and levels, you'll notice that there isn't anything left to his hat. I think you would need to borrow some shape and texture the from another hat and then use a mask with a blend to remove the flatness from the hat. Ultimately, the best place to start might be to create masks of the face, hat, and uniform so that you can apply different techniques to each and get rid of the background. I think this one has to be done the hard way and draw a mask to separate the man from the background. The quick selection tool can help, but some need to be hand painted. Here are my quick attempts.

IMG_4585 bw.jpgIMG_4585.JPG

Pipsmom

Guru
You way ahead of me in skill after these four days....... think my trash can is over flowing with experimentation throwaways .
I like what you have done, like it a lot!!!!!
I really need to learn the frequency separation technique and fast LOL
History.....The owner of the photo had it hand painted years ago...well I'll tell you your miles ahead of what they did back then, will include the photo so you can have a laugh at how far technology has come...OOOO those eye brows

IMG_4584.JPG

Pipsmom

Guru
With ChrisDesign's approval and using all his hard work... I went ahead and colored it and a few minor tweaks, eyes a too blue for my liking but all in all it's not that bad., I'm done with it as it was only practice and it was good to learn something totally different and my next job is to learn all about frequency separation as I see it can be very useful..... thank you Chris, owe you big time and job well done

soldier.jpg

Pipsmom

Guru
With ChrisDesign's approval and using all his hard work... I went ahead and colored it and a few minor tweaks, eyes a too blue for my liking but all in all it's not that bad., I'm done with it as it was only practice and it was good to learn something totally different and my next job is to learn all about frequency separation as I see it can be very useful..... thank you Chris, owe you big time and job well done

Pipsmom, this is a very good coloring result. Love it!