Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.67%

Re: How to create coloring book pages from photos

Hey Tom,
    I like that effect and your right... always in the eye of the beholder. I may try doing different coloring books with different effects to see which ones customers like most. I really appreciate your time and thanks for providing this example. If you have time, I'd enjoy seeing the steps you used which I'm sure can be done in PSE.

So would you recommend converting the image to a cartoon style first (as in your example) and then applying desaturation, color dodging and gaussian blurring to change it to a black and white coloring page.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.06%
    Achievements Gaining PopularityQualified to FreelanceSprout

Here is my attempt. I think the OP was looking for a B&W image that could be colored in the old fashion way (before photoshop). This was just done in the known method of bluring, sharpening, saturating, poster edges, and then applying the photocopy filter, so I'm not illustrating anything here other than perhaps the OP's desired outcome.

How to create coloring book pages from photos-colormein-jpg

I've seen that Digital Anarchy and Topaz have plugins for making cartoons. I've never used either, but those or others might achieve the better quality coloring page that you seek.
    Last edited by bbq_bob; 02-17-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.15%
    Achievements SuperstarPost GuruQualified to FreelanceAdvocate
    Awards Photoshop GuruPhotographer

Thank you, @bbq_bob, and sorry, @jdennis.

To be honest, I completely missed the point in the OP's very first post that he was looking for a method that would put the image it in a state where it consists only of outlines / guidelines and could be manually colored, so I blithely went on my merry way and essentially answered the wrong question, LOL. I didn't realize this till his most recent post.

Anyway, the attached animated GIF shows my first try at a method to address the correct problem.

How to create coloring book pages from photos-trump-tjm01-acr-ps03c-final_results_for_gif_bw_coloring_book-698px_wide-merge_annotation_layers-gif

There are two obvious problems with this method:

1) Quite a few of the lines are much too dark and heavy for a conventional coloring book. The correct way to thin my lines down would be to use a technique called "line erosion", some variants of which can stop eroding when the line gets down to a specified number of pixels wide. Unfortunately, Photoshop doesn't supply this tool or any good way to emulate it, and I don't know of any PS plugin that will do it. AFAIK, it is only available in computer languages used for mathematical image processing such as Matlab and Mathematica. One work-around for this problem would be to print the black lines seen above as a very light gray, hardly noticed after they are colored over by the end user.

2) Unlike conventional coloring books, my lines (and those of similar techniques) do not form closed areas that effectively tell the user, "use only one color in this area". Some end users who are artistically talented won't need this level of guidance, and may even prefer un-connected light gray "hint" lines (as suggested above), but children and less talented folks probably will prefer closed areas. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to convert what we currently have to closed areas is to do it manually (ie, either with the pen tool or a simple brush).

Let me keep thinking about this.

Cheers,

Tom M
    Last edited by Tom Mann; 02-17-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.15%
    Achievements SuperstarPost GuruQualified to FreelanceAdvocate
    Awards Photoshop GuruPhotographer

FWIW, here's an attempt to simulate (using PS) manual pencil coloring done on top of my light gray guide lines with some of the guide lines still partially visible.

Tom M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to create coloring book pages from photos-trump-tjm01-acr-ps03d-attempt_to_simulate_manually_coloring_in-698px_wide-01-jpg