What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I do this effect? total newb question

Rockman

Hello, i need a simple request. I am trying to imitate the effect done on the attached picture.

The brown rectangle has parts of it missing randomly. As do the words 'shop'. This effect seems rather random since it isn't consistent all around and is more prominent or patchy in certain areas. How do I do this effect? And yes the removed parts need to be white.

thanks for any help you can provide.

FYI, I'm using Photoshop CS2.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 63
Hello, you can achieve this effect by working with the layer mask. I suggest looking up tutorials on how the layer mask works. Also what it looks like is that they downloaded a different brush most likely a particle type of brush to achieve the scattered look. Let me know if this helps!

Rockman

I sort of understand how the layer mask works. but how would I get it to do that scattered look? Just randomly paint in white? Sorry, I'm a total newb. :cry:

Yea the scattered look would be from getting a specific brush that has the style pattern of what you're going for. So if you look up scattered brushes or particle brushes to download, you'll be able to get that style of edit you're going for. Photoshop really doesn't automate an effect like that, some manual labor still has to go in to work with achieving the look you want with objects and text.

gedstar

Guru
For the text effect

Write your text with the type tool and then right click on the type layer and select rasterize type

image1.png

Then CRTL click on the type layers thumbnail to make the selection active

image2.png

Then using a scatter brush just paint in white

image3.png

Last edited:

Rockman

what does rasterize do? I don't seem to have that option when I right click on the layer. Is it because I am using an old version, CS2? Also did you use a built in brush or did you download a specific one to make that effect?

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
It is critical "Where" you right click on the type layer.

If you click on the icon itself you get one menu- if you click on the words to the right of the icon you will get a different menu.Rasterising converts your vector based text into a pixel based image that can be edited in different ways.

fredfish

Guru
There are always many ways to acheive any effect in Photoshop.

I would approach it this way (as it leaves the text editable - if you rasterise the text it is no longer editable).

• Find an image on the internet that you want to use on the text (search for things like "Grunge" image.
  • Load the image to a layer above your text layer (resizing it as necessary)
  • Then use a "Clipping mask" to clip the image to the text.

To create a clipping mask either right click on the image layer that you have loaded and select "Create clipping mask" from the menu (keeping in mind what I said befor that y6ou will get different menus depending where you right click - clicking on the layer icon will geive you a different menu than clicking on the words to the right of the layer icon). Or if you hold down the Alt key while you slowley move the mouse between the two layer you will see the pointer change to a square with a bent arrow next to it - at this point left click and you will have created a clipping mask.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
As John rightly said there are many ways to do this, here's another

Create your text and download a texture image and place it above the text layer, right click on the layer and select Create Clipping Mask
Then double click on the layer to bring up the layer style dialog and use the Blend If slider on This Layer

image5.jpg

fredfish

Guru
As John rightly said there are many ways to do this, here's another

Create your text and download a texture image and place it above the text layer, right click on the layer and select Create Clipping Mask
Then double click on the layer to bring up the layer style dialog and use the Blend If slider on This Layer

View attachment 71876

I really must use "Blend if" more - I forget how powerful it is....

Cheers

John