What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please teach me how I can extend this artwork

kurias

Hello,

I been looking around for some videos but I'm not sure exactly what to look for, I am new to photoshop and I'm hoping someone can offer me some guidance here.

Please see the attached image. I resized the image and I know how to crop to create more space to work with.. but thats pretty much it. I would like to "extend" this picture to about 36cm by extending the background with similar effect. I am trying to fit this onto a template and I would like to maintain the image the way it is while extending so it fits the rest of the template which is about 36cm wide.

I have attached the image, and what i have so far on the template. I am trying to use this to make an artwork for my arcade stick.

Cammy TE2.jpgCammySFVFightstick.jpg
Thanks,

Kurias

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Kurias and welcome to PSG.

I'm somewhat confused as to what you want. I think your wanting to extend the background of the painting to the right.

You have two photos...............which one are you wanting to extend? The one on the bottom or the one with the white stroked circles?

Neither of these photos are 39cm. It is W 29.63cm x H 18.04cm. Do we need to extend the image as well?
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 8.00.58 AM.png

kurias

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I had to shrink the images, I couldn't attach it when it was in its original size. The image with just the girl is the original artwork which I extended in attempt to fill up the space. The picture with the holes is a template. I am trying to fill up the rest of the template up to the red borders without distorting the girl. In that same image, the top part is what I cropped and transformed to fill in the extra space. It seems to look ok but I am not sure what to do or how to fill out the bottom of the template.

I also thought about cropping the girl out and just using a white background, however I would like to preserve the grey background if possible.

I have attached an example of what it will look like when printed and applied to the fight stick.

Kurias

Attachments

• ryute2+.jpg
    ryute2+.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, now it makes sense! Thanks for explaining...............even though it was probably my own misunderstanding!

I had given it some thought...........while I think it can be done, I was going to suggest that it would be way simpler if you cropped her out of the BG and just create a new one. So that's a good idea.

kurias

Thanks Sam. I think I am leaning towards that alternative, Out of curiosity though, how would you go about extending it to fit the template without cropping her out? If you dont mind could you possibly link me to some tutorials that may help?

Kurias

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, not to say that there isn't a tutorial out there somewhere, but I've never seen one for this type of work specifically. Extending a background is all about borrowing pixel information from the original, moving and arranging it out to the side in such a manner that it looks natural and non-repetitive. The other option is being able to match the exact tools or brushes used to make the original background.

Due to it's lack of information, I would still suggest cropping her out with the Pen Tool, completing the missing pigtail, and then creating your own grunge style background.......................it would be much, much easier than trying to extend the existing BG.