What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to draw a water glass

Aviorrok

Hi,
I'm really bad in pen tool and I need to draw a glass like it, how can I do it?

Untitled-1.png
Thanks for help!

gedstar

Guru
Hi

Here's one way to do it without the Pen Tool, it's not the same as the image you supplied but should give you some idea

OK first thing I did was create a new layer and added a color to it then setup some guides, hit CRTL R to show to rulers
Then added another new layer and created a shape using the elliptical marquee tool and filled the shape with a lighter blue color

image1.jpg

Next I added more guides and used the rectangle marquee tool to draw a square and again added a slightly lighter blue color and used the free transform tool to change the shape of the bottom part

image2.jpg

Then I made a selection of the Top layer and inverted the selection using CRTL + SHIFT + I and added a layer mask to that layer

image3.jpg

Then I made a copy of the main layer and again resized that using the free transform tool

image4.jpg

View attachment 72027

And then I changed the color of that layer to white, after that I made a copy of the top layer and moved it down to the top of the white layer, you'll need to drag that layer above all the other layers, then I just resized it and change the color to a slightly gray white

View attachment 72029

Result

View attachment 72030

P.S. this was done pretty quickly and only as a demonstration so it's not perfect and I had a few of these :beerchug: :rofl:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Oh THAT'S a water glass!

Thanks Ged, nice job.

(Curve the bottom)

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Ged! I agree with MrToM, the bottom of the glass needs to be curved.

Aviorrok

Hi

Here's one way to do it without the Pen Tool, it's not the same as the image you supplied but should give you some idea

OK first thing I did was create a new layer and added a color to it then setup some guides, hit CRTL R to show to rulers
Then added another new layer and created a shape using the elliptical marquee tool and filled the shape with a lighter blue color

View attachment 72023

Next I added more guides and used the rectangle marquee tool to draw a square and again added a slightly lighter blue color and used the free transform tool to change the shape of the bottom part

View attachment 72024

Then I made a selection of the Top layer and inverted the selection using CRTL + SHIFT + I and added a layer mask to that layer

View attachment 72025

Then I made a copy of the main layer and again resized that using the free transform tool

View attachment 72026

View attachment 72027

And then I changed the color of that layer to white, after that I made a copy of the top layer and moved it down to the top of the white layer, you'll need to drag that layer above all the other layers, then I just resized it and change the color to a slightly gray white

View attachment 72029

Result

View attachment 72030

P.S. this was done pretty quickly and only as a demonstration so it's not perfect and I had a few of these :beerchug: :rofl:

Thanks man great job!

Argos

Guru
I will add that in you glass, the perspective is different between your top glass and top juice. (hope is understandable XD)

Aviorrok

How to draw a water

Hi,
I can I draw a water like in the glass
Capture.PNG
cosmos_and_cocktails.jpg
Thanks!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For this water effect, there's no escaping the Pen Tool!

Since your dealing with two different colors you will need two different paths. You can set the tool to shape or path. If you use shape you need to pick the color of the shape (which can be easily changed later) and lower the opacity so you can see your work. You get much cleaner results with the shape option.

Here I have used the path option just to quickly demonstrate.

Using the Pen Tool set to path, on a new layer, I created the first water color/shape.
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.09.42 AM.png

Right click and make the path into a selection.
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.10.23 AM.png

Then fill the selection with the appropriate color.
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.22.19 AM.png

On a new layer, repeat the process for the second water color/shape.

Pen Tool path....
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.13.04 AM.png

..turned into a selection...
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.24.56 AM.png

......then filled with color.
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.14.29 AM.png