What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What procedure or techniques used ?

Aravin Arul

Hello ,
I am new here, I tried in ps yet i can't find the clear techniques or methods used in the below attached pictures. Please check and provide me any suggestions.

14033616_323435237993828_1788698828_n.jpg13739377_296890384006407_1396606515_n.jpg14278916_146680362446592_1084334229_n.jpg14727559_665139043666315_470084299396218880_n.jpg13721180_1755129681369333_1559315723_n.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

All the images you posted share a similar appearance, but they are all different. Each one contains many different techniques that could have been used to create the effect. It would be impossible to explain them all to you.

Could you please choose one photo and be specific about which effect your interested in. Thanks.

Argos

Guru
like IamSam said its diferent techniques in general used in each image for the final result, but if you mean the general low contrast analog look in all of them, try with nick collection free program, analog effect pro 2.

Cheers!

Pipsmom

Guru
like IamSam said its diferent techniques in general used in each image for the final result, but if you mean the general low contrast analog look in all of them, try with nick collection free program, analog effect pro 2.

Cheers!

I just knew I had seen that style somewhere........It's was the Nik Collection Analog Effects alright, good spot Argo

Tom Mann

Guru
As the previous folks suggested, the easiest way to get these sorts of effects is to use plugins. Basically, you can go "crazy" slathering on different effects until you get a look that you like. And, if you were systematic and wrote down what you did to get that look, you might be able to reproduce it, LOL.

As an example, I started with this:

Railway_Station_Night-tjm01-ps01a-01_BW.jpg

And then used:

1) Imagenomics "Real Film Grain" to add heavy, large film grain.

2) Topaz "Texture EFX 2" to intentionally add scratches, blobs, black flecks, and other imperfections to the results of the previous step.

3) Topaz "Restyle" to add the basic color (to the results of the previous step).

4) Nik "Color FX Pro: Photo Stylizer (Varitone)" to get the cross processed look.

5) And finally, a treatment with "curves" to get appropriate brightness and contrast.

At each of the above steps, I always adjusted the internal settings of each plugin, as well as the final opacity and BlendIF settings for that layer.

As this was intended to be just a quick example of the general approach one can take to grunge-ify an image, and each starting image will always require different settings, I made absolutely no effort to closely match the effect in the image you provided. In fact, I intentionally laid my effects on more thickly than optimal to make them obvious.

Railway_Station_Night-tjm01-ps01a-02b_lots_of_EFX.jpg

Total time expended: less than 5 minutes in PS.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Editorial comment: It's extremely easy to add effects to an image (ie, essentially corrupting it), and then feel all "arty" and creative, especially when your family and friends (who know absolutely nothing about this field) see the result and tell you how good you are.

Personally, I feel that adding effects (such as was illustrated in this thead) is rarely creative and rarely even provides much of a technical challenge or technical satisfaction. For example, in the case of adding grunge, the starting image can be a really poor photo (eg, blown highlights, blurry, etc.), and it hardly matters. You just keep playing around with it till you get something that you like. The process might be a bit more complicated than pressing a button in Instagram, but intellectually and conceptually, it's very similar. Almost all beginners at image manipulation go through a phase of complete infatuation with adding effects to images.

IMHO, it's much more difficult and rewarding to produce technically excellent, emotionally compelling, realistic photos or graphic art compositions than by just adding grunge and other effects to existing photos. Of course, there are uses for such grunge-ified images (eg, projected for a few seconds at a dance club, or as the background to commercial graphics to evoke particular emotions), but I suspect that few grunge-ified images will ever have the staying power of conventional high quality photographs or graphic art compositions whether success is measured in terms of display in a museum 10 years from now, or, at the opposite end of the art spectrum, simple appreciation when viewed by ordinary families. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Tom on that, but there is a poor man's version of getting this effect.

Any texture image, placed over a photo and set to overlay (and sometimes desaturated), can give you a simple grunge effect. But this is just an effect - to simulate aging or wear. It is not a replacement, as Tom said, for poor photography.

Attachments

• grunge_effect.jpg
    grunge_effect.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 1