What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to achive thsi effect? is it brush work ??

balavalli

how to achive thsi effect? is it brush work ?? What its actually doing is its giving a hallow effect on the images like a vignette effect.Very cool one.Is it wrbus work or any other plugins or any other techniques used ? Gurus please give a tutorial on it. Actually i found it on a psd and i tried to achieve it with out any success. I also added the original psd of it.

hw-to.jpg

This is the psd :

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/file/q7o7f99a7dochnp/How_to.psd

[/URL]

See how its giving the effect when placed it on an image.Very cool indeed.Want to elarn how to make it.

How_to1.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

This is just a brushed layer used to darken areas of the underlying image.

Create and select a new layer above the image.
Select the Brush Tool.
Set the Brush Tools foreground color to black.
Adjust the brushes hardness to a very soft brush.
Lower the Brushes opacity and flow rates.

Start Brushing until you reach the desired amount of darkness.

After your done brushing, double click the layer to add a layer style.
Select Color Overlay.
Set the color of overlay to #07080a

That's about it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for the kind help,i think i can also use the mask right ?
Well..................not from the example you provided. The procedure for using a mask is very different.

Here is the image with a brush layer as was described in my post above (post #2)
Much easier!
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.21.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.21.51 AM.png

Remember that a white layer mask reveals the layer it's applied to.........so we would use black color on a white layer mask to HIDE the content of the masked layer.
A black layer mask conceals the layer it's applied to.............so we would use white color on the black layer mask to allow the content of the masked layer to be seen. So for the effect on this image example, we would need a solid color layer with a black (concealing) layer mask applied to it.

If you want to use a layer mask you would first have to add a solid color fill layer above the original layer.
Original
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.24.51 AM.png

Solid color layer set to blend mode Multiply.
It will appear dark until you add the black layer mask.
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.27.48 AM.png

Then we add a black layer mask to the solid color layer.............which conceals the solid color layer that it's applied to.
Now we have this....
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.42.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.42.26 AM.png

Next we take the Brush Tool with white as our foreground color and we paint on the selected mask.
The white color reveals the content of the layer it's applied to so the black solid color layer begins to show.
Now we have this.
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.44.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.44.47 AM.png

A layer mask can be easier to edit, but a little harder to understand.