What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG sequence / film strip

David Elworthy

I have a PNG file which is a sequence / strip of images which should run as a animation. How can render this in photoshop and possibly then export as a GIF or another format?

Content of file is something like this:
g_a_humans_factoryfabric_10_a3814e4a6ac4fb855a30.png

Thanks

MrToM

Guru
You will have to create a layer for each 'frame' of the animation from that one PNG image.

You can do this by using the rectangular Marquee tool to create a marquee around each 'frame' in turn and then using LAYER > NEW > Layer via Cut. (Shift + Ctrl + J)

HINT: Start with the last frame. :thumbsup:

(Remember to select the original image layer before each cut)

The first 'frame' will need to be the lowest layer, the last frame the uppermost in the layer stack.

Then, depending on your PS version, either Use 'Save for Web...' or Export out to an animated gif file.

Regards.
MrToM.

David Elworthy

Thanks. I didn't realise how time consuming this would be. That image comes from a game which is rendered somehow to form the animation. So this is not possible in PS or any other Adobe software?

MrToM

Guru
...So this is not possible in PS or any other Adobe software?...
Not sure I follow you....is WHAT not possible in PS?

I understood it that you had a PNG file that consisted of all the frames of an animation.

Is that what you have?

If so, what are you trying to do with it?

If not, what exactly do you have, and what are you trying to do with it?

Regards.
MrToM.

David Elworthy

The picture (PNG file) in initial post I have plus many more.

I believe your first answer is correct and probably the only way to get it to run as an animation.

But these PNG files come from a game and when the images are displayed in the game they are animated, so something in the game is animating those PNG film strips somehow. I thought this was possible in Photoshop? I'm just trying to get the images to animate on their own outside of the game. Possibly in a GIF format or whatever other format supports animated stuff like this.

MrToM

Guru
Ah right....that makes more sense....I think.

So how are you 'rendering' the image sequence from the game?
Can you not export the actual file itself rather than a sequence of images from it?

Not only are animated image files used in 'game engines' but fully rendered video footage too...mp4's, mov's, mkv's etc etc, so knowing what format to export could prove difficult.

Failing that, if all you can do is grab an image of all the frames then you're pretty much stuck with the process above.

Regards.
MrToM.

David Elworthy

I'm just looking at the network page (Dev mode) in Google Chrome and picking out the images the game is requesting and then loading them. So it must be slicing them up and running them as an animation somehow..?

Here is another of the png files it loads. humans_inhabitants_female-1b2122ef25431178a7f8633d1e1da0c2.png