What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I project part of an image outside it's frame?

BorninThe40s

Here I have an image of a south Coast Marina, to which I have added a gold frame.

How do I extend the wooden pontoon area to project beyond the frame? I have been trying with 'Vanishing Point' but am failing miserably.....

3355.tmp.jpg

I don't just want it done for me, I want to learn how to do it!:bangdesk:

Any advice gratefully received....

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

P.S. I have just upgraded to Photoshop CC 2017 using windows 7 on a 64 bit OS.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Are you trying to do an Out Of Bounds Effect?

If so, you wouldn't extend the "pontoon", you would shrink the frame. If not, you will have to copy a selection of the pontoon and use Free Transform to enlarge it, you will of course loose some definition doing it this way. Otherwise, you will have to make it from scratch.

Rich54

Guru
If so, you wouldn't extend the "pontoon", you would shrink the frame. If not, you will have to copy a selection of the pontoon and use Free Transform to enlarge it, you will of course loose some definition doing it this way. Otherwise, you will have to make it from scratch.

Personally, I have never had any luck with the Vanishing Point tool, so I often use a combination of Perspective, Scale and Skew to achieve a similar effect. These commands can all be found within the Edit>Transform menu. As IamSam has already suggested, if you wanted to extend the bridge outside the frame, you can either copy & transform it, or draw it from scratch. In the image below, I manually drew the rectangular shapes on the left (labeled #1). Then I applied Edit>Transform>Perspective (image #2). Then I applied Edit>Transform>Scale to give it yet another perspective (#3). If you play around with these various 'Transforms' you might be able to make an extension of the bridge that matches the existing bridge. (You would also need Edit>Transform>Skew to match the point of view because the "viewer" of your image is standing slightly to the right of the bridge.)

Edit: I accidentally wrote "Filter>Transform" when I meant Edit>Transform.

bridge.jpg

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I'd try Vanishing Point first to see if it worked, and I'd do so like this...

6:16 NO AUDIO

You could of course just draw out the grid and use the clone stamp tool, (In VP Filter), if copying and pasting part of the image doesn't work too well.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

BorninThe40s

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Are you trying to do an Out Of Bounds Effect?

Thank you for the reply!

I suppose it is a sort of 'Out of bounds' effect, though I didn't want to distort the original image.

I've managed that before with a different method,
IMGP2987 (Large).jpg

It's all food for thought though, and I'll keep experimenting!

Thanks again....:thumbsup:

BorninThe40s

Personally, I have never had any luck with the Vanishing Point tool, so I often use a combination of Perspective, Scale and Skew to achieve a similar effect. These commands can all be found within the Edit>Transform menu. As IamSam has already suggested, if you wanted to extend the bridge outside the frame, you can either copy & transform it, or draw it from scratch. In the image below, I manually drew the rectangular shapes on the left (labeled #1). Then I applied Edit>Transform>Perspective (image #2). Then I applied Edit>Transform>Scale to give it yet another perspective (#3). If you play around with these various 'Transforms' you might be able to make an extension of the bridge that matches the existing bridge. (You would also need Edit>Transform>Skew to match the point of view because the "viewer" of your image is standing slightly to the right of the bridge.)

Edit: I accidentally wrote "Filter>Transform" when I meant Edit>Transform.

View attachment 72460

Thank you for your input!

I've been experimenting with the 'Transform' tools but not very succesfully so far. For some reason, I get massive distortion when I enlarge a section of the image. I haven't tried 'Skew' yet though so I'll be on to it!

I'll keep playing! :thumbsup:

BorninThe40s

I'd try Vanishing Point first to see if it worked, and I'd do so like this...

6:16 NO AUDIO

You could of course just draw out the grid and use the clone stamp tool, (In VP Filter), if copying and pasting part of the image doesn't work too well.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you for the youtube link! This is something like what I had in mind but as my pontoon isn't square to the image, I get huge distortion when trying to 'transform' and square the selection up.....

The answer may lie with a combination of your reply and Rich54's discussion about transform....

I'll keep trying!

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

BorninThe40s

Following on from the useful suggestions from you guys, here's an update.

The image below is close to what I had in mind (at a quick glance) but you don't need to look very closely to pick all sorts of faults. I'm still working on it! :)
Cobb's Quay... 2.jpg

Rich54

Guru
I think you've done a good job with the perspective, colors and lighting. But in my opinion what still needs work is the fact that the 'pontoon' should contain greater focus and detail in the foreground than in the background. Your's, at the moment, is the other way around---the pontoon gets sharper as it recedes.

I did a quick experiment to see if an idea would work. I queried Google for images of a Boardwalk (do you use that term in the UK?) and found the image immediately below. I pasted it into your image and then did the following:
1. Convert the boardwalk layer to black & white.
2. Apply a layer mask to correctly fit the wooden portion within your marina image and mask-out the rest. I ignored the blue-colored areas for now and only focused on the orange-ish areas.
3. I took your original image and copied the wooden portion to a new layer above the B&W boardwalk layer. Then I changed the layer blend mode to Hard Light to restore the colors and shadows (Vivid Light and Linear Light also gave interesting results).

My final result is the second image below. I did this very quickly and wasn't being very careful, but it's one possible way to add some texture and detail to the foreground.

Halton_Agreement_Forest-Boardwalk_Construction-15.jpg

CobbQuay.jpg

BorninThe40s

Hi Rich54,

That looks a possibilty! You did well to drop on a suitable image straightaway....

I've decided there are so many fundamental faults with the PSD file I've been working with, that I'm going back to the drawing board. I'll start over again when I find the original RAW image...

In the meantime, I've another in a similar vein, of a 'boardwalk' in Albufeira Marina in the Algarve.

Because I started with this from scratch, and taking on board some ideas from here, I came up with this in about ½hour...

IMGP8479.jpg
It's a lot cleaner and tidier, all round. I still think there's a simpler way to do it as involved numerous layers, but I'm reasonably happy with this result. Whether I can adapt the same procedure to the original photo remains to b seen. The low sun position causes an issue on that, with distortion and misplacement of the heavy shadows... I'll have another look at it when I get time!

Thanks for your input! :)

Regards

Tony M.

Last edited: