What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spot healing tool copying wrong area

margyparker

I am trying to do some spot healing on a wrinkly neck of a bearded person. The beard is appearing on the spot where I am trying to remove blemishes. Totally confused.

The "Spot Healing Brush" tool automatically samples the source for you.

The "Healing Brush" tool requires YOU to make the sample before using it....by holding down ALT and clicking the sample area.

If the 'preview' of the brush isn't what you expect then I would say you are most likely using the latter, and therefore need to re-sample the source.

If you are using the "Spot Healing Brush" tool and it really IS the wrong sample then I dunno....it could be dependant on your PS version...or it could just be having duvet day.

Regards.
MrToM.

theres the brush circle with a little plus in the centre and then a plus sign that is about an inch away from the brush circle - wondering if it sampling from the plus sign and not the circle?

...and then a plus sign that is about an inch away from the brush circle - wondering if it sampling from the plus sign and not the circle?
Yes.

You are NOT using the "Spot Healing Brush" tool, you ARE using the "Healing Brush" tool.

The extra 'plus' sign is showing you the sample area when you use the tool. You will notice this doesn't change each time you use it but it does follow your brush movement during use.

In order to change the area it samples when you use it HOLD DOWN THE ALT KEY and LEFT CLICK the area you want to sample.

From then on the sample point will be where you clicked. This will stay like this until you sample a different point...should you need to.

Note: The "Spot Healing Brush" tool and the "Healing Brush" tool are two different tools.

Regards.
MrToM.

Healing brush - the cross is not staying with the circle and the healing that is going on is definitely coming from where the cross is. I now have a nose on my neck. Giving up for today its too stressful. Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Hey Margy. Let me add to what MrToM has already stated.

The Healing Brush Tool utilizes two visual aids when in operation. The 'CIRCLE' is the brush. The 'CROSS' is the sample point.

Once you sample a target area, the Healing Brush Tool will only use THAT sampled area until the user (you) changes to a new sample target area.

Let me demonstrate. I have an image that has Pebbles on the right and just plain white on the left.
Here I have sampled the area on the right where the white cross is located.

The three "healed areas" on the left are the result of one single mouse click EACH.
Notice that I moved the brush of the Healing Brush Tool between mouse clicks. The Healing Brush Tool used the same sample target area for each mouse click.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 12.11.48 PM.png

However, If I click and drag the brush for the Healing Brush Tool, notice that the sample point will also move in tandem with the brush.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 12.12.42 PM.png

BUT..........if I click and drag on a different area without changing the sample point, the Healing Brush Tool still samples from that original sample point.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 12.33.58 PM.png

If you want the Healing Brush Tool to add neck instead of nose, you have to sample the neck.

If you want the sample point to track with the brush, you need to use the Clone Stamp Tool. After the first click of the Clone Stamp Tool, the sample point will track with the brush until a new sample point is selected.

Back