What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make picture less blury: Was Introduction

Sara Yousuf

Hi everyone! My name is Sara. I'm 18 and I'm so excited to be a part of this community. Thanks all.
I have a question though. How to make this picture a little less blurry. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

kjlkkk.JPG

Tom Mann

Guru
Just a quick comment: I don't mean to be glib, but de-blurring a photo is a lot like trying to un-stir a cup of coffee after you have added milk to it - it's very hard to do.

For example, remember the fiasco with the Hubble Space Telescope. There was an error in the design and the images it produced were blurry. NASA had to devote, as I recall, some tens of millions of dollars to develop an algorithm + a hardware addition (a corrector plate) to fix it, and that worked only because they were fixing what amounted to a fixed-focal length lens whose f-number never changed, which was always focused at infinity, and which was effectively mounted on a rock solid tripod. This is not at all the case for typical blurred photos taken by amateur photographers.

With ordinary photos, like yours, a bit of sharpening can usually be achieved, especially for photos that aren't wildly blurred, and it always comes at the cost of introducing image artifacts. The bottom line is that It is always vastly better to fix the root cause (even if that means re-shooting the image) rather than trying to fix an image after it's already been so degraded.

For the photo you posted, note that even the text is blurred. Text never starts out blurred, so someone clearly did something incorrectly to the image to blur it. My first suggestion is that you should first spend your time doing everything in your power to find a "sharper" (ie, more higher resolution) version of that image, and then, only if a better version can't be found, and the image in question is truly one-of-a-kind and can't be reconstructed (a new image very similar to this one clearly can be easily generated) should one devote heroic efforts to save this particular image.

Sure, this one can be improved a bit, and I'm sure folks will come along and do this, but my guess is that the improvement won't be enough to really give you what you want.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Tom M

fredfish

Guru
Using tineye reverse image search I found this which is clearer - you could re-add the text. It is of course a copyright image so if you are using it for anything else than personal purposes you should buy a copy - which would also get you a much higher quality image as well.

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/ERK9YA/couple-on-a-picnik-ERK9YA.jpg

Cheers

John