What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comic style background

evren

hi everyone, i want to to comic style background like the one below but i want all the stripes have equal width. in this one below lighter color stripes are wider than darker ones. how can i do it?

bg.jpg

fredfish

Guru
Have a look at this youtube tutorial. It looks like you need to play with the setting in the section where the narrator looks at the "Waves" setting.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Just in case the video tutorial listed above doesn't get you the results you require, another technique would be based on the final document size (presuming it's a rectangle), and you would need to create a larger document containing a circle that's equally divided into sections.

Example:

Let's say that this blue rectangle represented the final image size and dimension for the desired BG effect.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 3.29.49 PM.png

You would create a much larger circle with equally divided sections.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 3.27.01 PM.png

When your done, you would simply crop the circle to the proper dimensions of the final desired outcome.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 3.25.32 PM.png

WARNING: This technique requires math!

I won't explain this process until you've tried the technique described in the video above.

MrToM

Guru
Just to add to the excellent suggestions above...

For equal spacing of the rays follow the video tutorial but make your canvas SQUARE.

The reason the video example is not equally spaced is because they use a rectangular canvas which when converted to polar coords does so proportionally according to the document dimensions....aka the canvas size.

I can almost guarantee that IamSam will have a method that will not produce the rough look as in the video but will have that smooth as butter.

Regards.
MrToM.

evren

Thx guys, I used to use wave filter to make rays but those settings in that filter is way too complicated so i created them manually, first i created 2 rays then multiplied them via an action and finally used the polar coordinates to make the sunburst so i think i made it

i also wanted the width of rays to be not so wide, so doing it manually helped me to make them as how wide i want them

sunburst.jpg

fredfish

Guru
As always with Photoshop - the cat gets skinned in a variety of ways!! Well done.

Cheers
John

evren

even thou there is a handier way to do something in photoshop, sometimes maybe a lil harder but the persons own way is better :D

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thx guys, I used to use wave filter to make rays but those settings in that filter is way too complicated so i created them manually, first i created 2 rays then multiplied them via an action and finally used the polar coordinates to make the sunburst so i think i made it

i also wanted the width of rays to be not so wide, so doing it manually helped me to make them as how wide i want them
I used a similar process in that I made one ray the exact length and width I wanted , then used "Step and Repeat" to create and space the rest. Very simple and fast, just hard to explain.

fredfish

Guru
Dontcha just love step and repeat. Just a quick query on that - is there a way to change the brightness of an object during the step and repeat process? I know I can transform, scale and rotate but I cant see a way to reduce the brightness. So for example if I want an object to move, rotate and also fade to nothing.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dontcha just love step and repeat. Just a quick query on that - is there a way to change the brightness of an object during the step and repeat process? I know I can transform, scale and rotate but I cant see a way to reduce the brightness. So for example if I want an object to move, rotate and also fade to nothing.

Cheers

John
John, if your talking about a radial fade, then you would fade the first ray and the rest would be the same. Personally I would create solid rays, group them, then apply a fade using a gradient on a layer mask.

Layer mask fade 1
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.54.58 AM.png

Layer mask fade 2
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.57.17 AM.png

Layer mask fade 3
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 10.01.01 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
...is there a way to change the brightness of an object during the step and repeat process?...
I wouldn't have thought so.

The 'Step 'n' Repeat' feature works on transforms only so position, scale, rotation, skew etc etc are included in that group of 'transforms'. Anything in the EDIT > TRANSFORM menu item essentially.

Other layer properties are not transforms so I doubt you can get them to change with this feature.

Do what IamSam suggests. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

fredfish

Guru
Your first one is closer to what I was meaning - to be honest at the moment I am playing, so any suggestions give me ideas!

Thanks.

John

fredfish

Guru
Thanks MrToM - that is pretty much what I suspected, great to have it confirmed (stopped me looking further :) ). I suppose if I really wanted a fade as well I could build a short action, but then as I said to IamSam I am just playing at the moment.

Cheers

John