What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Help] What am I doing wrong? Vector Mask Issue

MrToM

Guru
It would help to see your layers panel so we can ascertain what you are doing...and where the problem may be. Without this simple piece of info its virtually impossible to say what you are doing wrong.

Having said that, this is not a very good tutorial to follow for this effect, they use the wrong terminology which may be throwing you off course.

This is nothing more than two identical text layers.
There is no blending, no clipping and certainly no vector masks.

The one layer, has some effects on it to remove the middle...I assume so that the masking on the other layer is visible.

The other layer has a regular layer mask, created from using the 'texture' image but it could be created from anything with a similar random pattern.

This isn't anything complex although that tutorial would have you believe otherwise.

Regards.
MrToM.

ChopCountry

It would help to see your layers panel so we can ascertain what you are doing...and where the problem may be. Without this simple piece of info its virtually impossible to say what you are doing wrong.

Having said that, this is not a very good tutorial to follow for this effect, they use the wrong terminology which may be throwing you off course.

This is nothing more than two identical text layers.
There is no blending, no clipping and certainly no vector masks.

The one layer, has some effects on it to remove the middle...I assume so that the masking on the other layer is visible.

The other layer has a regular layer mask, created from using the 'texture' image but it could be created from anything with a similar random pattern.

This isn't anything complex although that tutorial would have you believe otherwise.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you for responding Mr. Tom

This is my layers panel.

Layer 1 is the transparent textured image she linked to.

Layer 0 Copy is the duplicate layer (not text anymore but from a png) that's the one I did all the blending effects to.

Layer 0 is just the base text (again not text layer anymore but a png text image)
sEgXZbw.png

Last edited:

ChopCountry

Where I'm stuck at is when she says select the textured layer with CMD+CTRL. Then remove visability by clicking the eye and restoring the visibility for the first layer. When I click the button it just Add Layer Mask and nothing happens.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Yeah....you are nearly there.

On a Mac use CMD + CLICK on the layer THUMBNAIL...

layer_mask_MT_01.jpg

This will create a Marquee (Marching Ants).

This is all you need this layer for so you can turn OFF the visibility by clicking the 'Eye' icon to the LEFT of the layer THUMBNAIL...

layer_mask_MT_02.jpg

You can now use this Marquee to create a Layer mask on [your] layer 0.

All you need to do is SELECT your layer 0, (not shown in my image), then click the 'Create Layer Mask' icon as shown in the tutorial...

layer_mask_MT_03.jpg

The idea of the two layers is just to remove the 'grunge' effect away from the edges....thats all.

Make sure the FILL OPACITY is set to ZERO for the upper text layer...your Layer 0 copy...

layer_mask_MT_04.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

ChopCountry

Thank you Tom!

That's why it didn't make any sense because she never explained the Marching Ants Marquee. Thank you very much.

ChopCountry

Mr. Tom, do you have any tips or tutorials on making text look like it's breaking down or with cracks? I got the old grainy look to make it look worn down but was also interested in making it look like it was cracking.

This is the pet project I'm working on. Custom blu ray cover for my collection. Thanks to your help I got the front LOGAN title to look grainy and worn down, but I also want it to look like it's cracking, dilapidating, or crumbling slightly.

DWO5H6z.png

MrToM

Guru
To be honest you've done it already.

You just need to find the 'texture' you want, there are plenty of them for download.
Ideally you'd want a Black and White or Greyscale image but anything will do really...you can make a marquee out of just about any image.

You then do the same as you've done before....create the marquee from the 'texture' image and use it to create the mask on whatever layer you want to apply the effect to.

You've done the hard bit really, its just repetition from here.

PHLEARN and BLUE LIGHTNING TV are popular tutorial producers, you could do worse than check them out.

Also search for GRAFFITI tutorials or GRUNGE tutorials...both are the sort of effect you need.
Simply painting on a layer mask with a 'grunge' brush is also a good technique, and there are LOTS of 'grunge' brushes out there to download.

Its not tricky to do but if you get stuck then just come back here and we'll try to help you out further.

(Just don't ask me to Google something for you) :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

ChopCountry

Ha! I've been googling this since last night. That's how I stumbled across that tutorial and this website! I just didn't know if you already had a tutorial source or place that I probably hadn't looked yet as a starting point!

MrToM

Guru
Well instead of finding a tutorial on the exact effect you want why not search for tutorials on the techniques used....the 'building blocks' of Photoshop?

That way you can create ANY effect you want without the need for instructions.

Look for Layers, layer masks, blending, clipping paths, pen tool, channels etc etc....all of which will put you in good stead for doing virtually anything.

You've done what you want already...you just need to apply it now.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. Now I just need to learn how to make some claw scratches so it looks like Wolverine's claws scratched through the text. Looking at tutorials ATM.
The text can get real 'busy' if your not careful. You don't want to add too much to it. But some claw marks somewhere in the composite might be interesting.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 11.45.10 PM.png

Old post with explanation: Help with coverpage

ChopCountry

Oh I'm aware of doing too much to it. I really jsut wanted to learn how to do them and mix and match to see which one I like most. Or have the spine title be different from the front title design.