What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged Film Negatives HELP!

addison11

After getting some images processed at a local lab, I noticed this irregular black banding on the scans, I'm in desperate need to figure out how to fix this, I tried using the patch and clone tools but that takes way to long and makes the final image irregular, is there an easier way to fix this issue?

Attachments

• 10011.jpg
    10011.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Tom Mann

Guru
I am almost positive that the problem was not on the negative, and is that the scanner at the so-called "pro lab" is dirty and its feed mechanism is likely not smooth. They almost certainly caused these problems, and they should refund your money so that you can have your negative scanned at a good lab. Scans simply should not look like this. You (or us) shouldn't have to fix a problem they caused.

That being said, if there is absolutely no way you can have this re-done, then I would simply use the dodging tool on the wide horizontal bands. Use a very, very low flow rate, maximum softness, large radius, set for "mid-tones". For the vertical bands on the RHS, I would use either the content aware fill tool or the patch tool.

Tom M

PS - The banding discussed in the previous thread is an entirely different type of problem. The spatter filter technique will not work well (if at all) on your problem.

PPS - Would you pls. send me a private message with the name of the lab you used to do the scan. Depending on your location and budget, I may also be able recommend a pro lab.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PPS - Looking at your image on my big desktop machine /monitor instead of on my tiny cell phone, I now see that there is both fine and coarse banding. This is just too much to fix by any of the techniques we've been discussing.

Either drop in a completely new sky background, or, as I said earlier, even better, get a new scan done by a reputable lab. If you can get some money out of the old lab, do so, but don't accept any offer by them to re-do the scan for you. If their scanners are in such bad shape, there's a good chance they will damage your negative. Walk as fast as you can away from them.

If, by some chance, these problems really are on the negative, then drop in a new sky.

T

Last edited: