What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mask issue

Pipsmom

Guru
:banghead: I noticed a annoying problem the past few days when painting black over my mask to reveal ....but before I finish the whole area, the first section I started in begins to slowly turn back opaque leaving a faint hue...I rework the mask by painting it again real fast before it happens everywhere...but this is getting on my wick real fast.
Its a new problem, using a hard brush set at 100% hardness as always....what's happening?
PS 2017

MrToM

Guru
Weird.

Does it happen just with the brush? If so what happens if you reset the tool?

If you create a marquee and fill it with black does it still happen?

With your foreground / background colours set to default a shortcut for this is ALT+Backspace (for foreground colour) and CTRL+Backspace (for background colour.)

What about using the paint bucket, what happens with that?

If you paste in a channel does it still happen?

...starts to slowly turn back opaque leaving a faint hue...
Thats a new one on me! :confused:

Regards.
MrToM.

PS, have you tried turning it off and on again?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
when painting black over my mask to reveal, before I finish the whole area, the first section I started in begins to slowly turn back opaque leaving a faint hue.

I rework the mask by painting it again real fast before it happens everywhere.

Its a new problem.

I'm using a hard brush set at 100% hardness as always....what's happening?
PS 2017
Just so I understand..................your using the Brush Tool set to black at 100% opacity and hardness to paint on a layer mask like the one shown below:

Layers Panel
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.17.18 PM.png

Canvas
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.17.29 PM.png

And your saying that the layer mask is slowly returning to it's original state of full opaque white? All by itself?

As MrToM suggested, have you reset the Brush Tool?

Have you reset Photoshops preferences?

What painting mode is your Brush Tool set to?

sanjaymj

Hi Sam
I am getting this message when I click on the links provided by you
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Regards
Sam

Pipsmom

Guru
I did some Google researching last night and it seem like others have had the same issue with 2017. I know when I switched over to 2017 it was buggy but it slowly came right till now.
Heres where I am having the problem, after inserting a blue sky, clip a mask on it, set to 100% default black and white, hard brush, paint black to conceal the overlap where I do not want to see sky and bring the picture into view.....one possiablity I thought was maybe since I lowered the blending mode opacity so I can see through it to apply the mask ......that paint it going down at that lower rate also..hmmmm..Thinking it might be my fault now.
Masking issues do not happen on any other application ..
I'm going do a reset this morning and start using it so hope it clears up the issue...Will keep you informed