What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for help writing in photoshop

Shacks

Hello, I'm trying to make a list of rules for my Twitch chat. I'm using the type tool, dragging it the full length that I want the text to appear and then I copy and paste the text I want. That is where I run into trouble. After the first line, the second is much further down and then the next few lines are right under the second and then like the fifth line is much further down from the fourth. I can't get them all one right after the other.

That is the first problem. Then there is the issue of when I just type in the words, at the end of the first line I hit enter, the icon then goes back to the start and not under to the next line.

Lastly, if I don't play with the "set the leading," all of the text is jumbled together.

MrToM

Guru
Before pasting any copied text into PS it is always best to paste it into an application that will show any formatting copied with the text.

This formatting 'code' will not be visible in PS but will still have an affect on the formatting of the text.

You need to make sure that any previous formatting is totally removed before using it in PS, otherwise you could be chasing your own tail for days trying to get it right.

There are many 'text' editors that would remove formatting for you, Notepad++ is a very popular choice.

Once you have clean text you should try pasting into PS again and then see what changes need to be made. With clean text you now know any formatting is applied by PS and not something else.

Your choice of font will also have a varied affect, not all fonts act the same way.

Also make sure you 'reset' the font before starting...some properties are not obviously changed...

text_reset_MT_01.png

Make sure the 'paragraph' properties are also set correctly. (Reset if needed)...

text_reset_MT_02.png

The two 'enter' keys on a standard keyboard will have two different functions. The main 'enter' key acts as a normal 'new line' or 'carriage' return. The numpad 'enter' key will terminate the text tool. Make sure you do not accidentally use the numpad key and start creating many text layers. Paragraph text, as you have indicated is what you are using, should be on one layer per paragraph only and is denoted by a border and control handles similar to those of the transform tool.

Your font size will also have a major effect on how text is displayed within a paragraphs boundaries.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Shacks

I have to assume the resetting of the "paragraph" setting is what did it. All seems to be working now or for now. lol
Thank you.

Shacks

I seem to have a new problem, which is any punctuation I put in goes to the front of the line unless I add more text after it, which the it goes where needed. This makes it an issue putting a period at the end of a sentence that has nothing coming after it.

MrToM

Guru
EDIT > PREFERENCES > TYPE

Choose 'East Asian' as the Text Engine under Text Engine Options.

Restart PS for it to take effect.

Regards.
MrToM.

Shacks

I seem to have a new problem, which is any punctuation I put in goes to the front of the line unless I add more text after it, which the it goes where needed. This makes it an issue putting a period at the end of a sentence that has nothing coming after it.
Can Anyone Help With This?It's Still Networking.

Shacks

Still having an issue. Don't Want Start A New thread.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No need to start a new thread or to continue to bump this thread. If your not receiving any help, it may be that we don't have any further suggestions or ideas.

The next thing I suggest is that you start posting some screen shots so we can see the problem. Sometimes we can spot problems that were not described.

The punctuation problem should have been solved if you followed MrToM's advice in post #6.

Shacks

And it didn't help, hense the reason I posted that it didn't work.
Usually on forums people will say they don't know anymore options or anything, not just simply never reply again. I also bumped it in hopes that maybe someone else could see it and offer help that MrTom couldn't.

MrToM

Guru
If you are on an earlier version of PS, (CS6 possibly?), then you could try this:

If this doesn't work either then some details of your system and PS version would help.
(Usually on forums people will say what their PS version is...at the very least)

Regards.
MrToM.

PS.
...And it didn't help, hense the reason I posted that it didn't work...
No, you didn't...
It's still happening.
You gave no indication whatsoever that you had even bothered to try my suggestion.

Barking out random statements is something I ignore.

...Usually on forums people will say they don't know anymore options or anything, not just simply never reply again...
I Am not obliged to reply to you or anyone else, my free advice is given on my terms. Take it or leave it.

...I also bumped it in hopes that maybe someone else could see it and offer help that MrTom couldn't.
Or wouldn't.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
In order to view the Paragraph Direction outlined in the above video you need to enable it.

TYPE > LANGUAGE > OPTIONS > MIDDLE EASTERN FEATURES

Once you select that, open the PARAGRAPH tab and the two icons for Paragraph Direction should now be visible.

Once set you can revert to the Default feature set.

Shacks

It's still happening.
Yes I did.
I assumed saying it's still an issue would be enough to know I tried what you said. Why would I simply say "It still happening" without trying what you advised? I assumed that was clearly implied.
No one said you were obligated to respond, I was just saying that usually when one is helping someone out they don't simply just stop responding when out of help or opinions. If you don't want to help, by all means stop.

I said I have a problem, you told me a solution, I then say the problem is still happening. That isn't "barking out" random anything. It's a simple reply. Apparently that was too confusing for you and thus you decided to "ignore" it. Fine by me, continue ignoring me.

Thanks for the help before turning this into a issue.

Last edited: