What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why can't I use the eraser?

margyparker

I deleted it - will post a photo when it happens again. Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated.

MrToM

Guru
...Why can't I use the eraser when i am messing in layers?...
You can, and you are...but....without any pixels on the layer there isn't anything TO erase.

Your 'Layer 2' is virtually free of any pixels. There are a few, for some reason, but its essentially a blank layer....so nothing there to erase...

erase_MT_01.jpg

Tools generally only work on the selected layer, in your case, Layer 2.

It may be better to explain what it is you are trying to do so that we may suggest a better workflow for you....its actually a blessing in disguise that this isn't working.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...i got rid of the top layer and it worked - TY!...
It would.

By deleting the top layer you automatically select the next layer under it. (Your Layer 1)

This layer DOES have some pixels on it so the 'Eraser' tool has something to erase.

Regardless, the 'Eraser' tool is never a good tool to use, you should use masking if possible, but you seem determined to use it so...good luck!

Thanks for the update.

Regards.
MrToM.