What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to "Vector Mask" layer effect such as Outer Glow?

randomores

I want to hide a small part of the outer glow of a text. I tried vector mask but it is not working. Outer glow can pass through the vector mask!

I know there are a lot of workarounds such as rasterize the layer before erasing the glow / create layer style / etc. But I don't want that, I want the text remain modifiable as I am making a template. Creating layer style sounds like a good plan at first but when the text is modified, the layer style (outer glow) remain untouched, as they are considered separate layers.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Randomres

It would be easier if you provided an example.

The image below shows some text with an outerglow. Them I put a vector mask around the entire text and encroached into just one area of the text.

With the blending options of the Layer Style set to "Vector Mask Hides Effects" then it definitely hides the effect.

Is that what you wanted?

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 4.54.01 PM.png