What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help Photoshop2017

Doglover

I was gradually learning things and thought I was doing ok, until Adobe decided to new improve stuff. I want to cut out an image and move it to another background, which I have done loads of times before, but now the refine edges has gone and I have the select and mask thing instead. The problem with that is that I cut out my image and when I press on OK, the cut out disappears and it reverts to the original picture. What am I doing wrong? And is there some other way to cut out the image without going through the select and mask. I've looked up lots of instructions on the internet, all very interesting, but not one of them tells me what I have to do to finish off and cut out the image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I make my own book covers and this is holding me up.

gedstar

Guru
Hi

You can get the old refine edge back, for it to work you must have an active selection first
Go to the Select and Mask option in the menu bar. Hold down the shift key and click on Select and Mask. You will find the Refine Edge/Mask panel pops up instead of the Select and Mask workspace.

Here's some tutorials on the new Select and Mask
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+select+and+mask

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...The problem with that is that I cut out my image and when I press on OK, the cut out disappears and it reverts to the original picture...
The "Select and Mask" feature is exactly the same as "Refine Edge", it has just been re-named.

Check that your settings under "Output Settings", (In the Select and Mask" window), are set to what you want....it sounds like you haven't changed it from the default which is to just revert back to your image with just the new marquee....."Selection".

select_and_mask_MT_01.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Go to the Select and Mask option in the menu bar. Hold down the shift key and click on Select and Mask. You will find the Refine Edge/Mask panel pops up instead of the Select and Mask workspace...
You nearly had me on this one...

This only works for me when using SELECT > Select and Mask from the drop down menus....just shift clicking the menu bar button doesn't work.

I appreciate that may have been what you meant but it had me going for a while. :banghead:

Regards.
MrtoM.

gedstar

Guru
Cheer's @MrToM

That's what happens when I type to quick, you are correct :thumbsup:
P.S. it's not easy been at work and typing here at the same time, multitasking is not my strong point :lol:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
gedstar

No worries...

Wasn't sure if that was what you meant or not, it wasn't clear to me from your post.

Took me a while to finally use the drop down menu......its still early....its still before lunch.

I'm not convinced either of us have the solution though....I have a sneaky suspicion it could be something else entirely different....but we'll see.

Throw enough mud...

Regards.
MrToM.

Doglover

@gedstar

No worries...

Wasn't sure if that was what you meant or not, it wasn't clear to me from your post.

Took me a while to finally use the drop down menu......its still early....its still before lunch.

I'm not convinced either of us have the solution though....I have a sneaky suspicion it could be something else entirely different....but we'll see.

Throw enough mud...

Regards.
MrToM.

thanks,, both, for your input but neither of these work. I have tried the output drop down to everything on there and it still reverts to the original. I have tried holding the shift key while selecting from the select menu, but no sign of the refine edges. It is not the same; if it was I wouldn't have a problem. I can cut out the image I want from the background, but then what? There is no way to make it appear on the onion skin like it did before so I can move it to a different background.

MrToM

Guru
Post a screenshot of the WHOLE UI.

Make sure to include the layers panel, it is the key to a solution for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Doglover

Post a screenshot of the WHOLE UI.

Make sure to include the layers panel, it is the key to a solution for you.

Regards.
MrToM.
I managed to get the refine edges box up, so I think I'm all right now, thanks. I need to find a more detailed tutorial on this select and mask thingy, but the refine edges suits me for now. I don't have enough years left in which to learn it all, so thanks a lot for your help.

Pipsmom

Guru
After getting use to select and mask you might prefer it ...takes a bit of getting use to but after repeated use it came a lot easier for me...always check when done because it's not perfect and you will notice areas that it didn't mask correct and you just re enter select and mask and straighten out the mistake..Also recheck the smooth, contrast, feather etc box as it loses its memory of the previous settings you choose......
It doesn't do the best job in the world cutting out shapes ...but it's usable....2017 is sometimes buggy but I'm sure with time they will get it sorted...
My first sign of trouble was when it started Not showing the marching ants after I pressed ok...so I could double check the line I cut out.... then the (fill) with color stopped working and resetting did no good...I finally got tired of fighting it and went back to my original 2015.5.
Wish you the best of luck, stick with it and watch those tutorial's and follow along...It does get better I promise

MrToM

Guru
Purely on a curious nature...

...takes a bit of getting use to...
Its just the same as refine edge. Things may be in different places and have different names but the process of using it is just the same as before....Adobe's one redeeming feature is that very, very rarely do they actually remove anything....swap stuff around and rename it yes....granted but rarely remove.

...Also recheck the smooth, contrast, feather etc box as it loses its memory of the previous settings you choose...
Unless you check the 'Remember Settings" checkbox...right?

...My first sign of trouble was when it started Not showing the marching ants after I pressed ok...
What 'Output To...' setting did you use?

If you have the default 'Selection' then you will always get the marquee. Any other setting and you do not get the marquee...not much point really, the jobs been done by then.

I agree 2017 is glitchy, in fact the last three versions haven't been much cop but personally I'm not seeing the problems you've stated.

Regards.
MrToM.

Pipsmom

Guru
Thanks for asking Tom,
2017 worked brilliant for months on end and I adore it......then suddenly one day it started to change on me for no reason that I could detect. I checked all my settings and they remained where I had set them to. For instance it worked fine when I shut down at the end of the day, next day I open it it wouldn't save the marching ants after ok, then later fill color refused to work period.. .....several times I masked off what I wanted and pressed ok for nothing to be selected what so ever...I did the re masking more times than I should as my patience was wearing thin now thinking it must be me and not it ....so I kept trying to get masks to Stick and not disappear.
Next day it was back to working for a few more days really good then decided it had enough and started the same old stuff, finally it gave up all together after many days had passed. I researched on here and found the keys to reset PS, and all the tools.....then it was really messed up and nothing worked right...I rechecked all settings like output against 2015.5 that works fine so nothing changed there they all matched.....Being frustrated to my wits end I have it deleted now....Maybe mine just went crazy don't know..... :eek:Hahahahahaha

Doglover

After getting use to select and mask you might prefer it ...takes a bit of getting use to but after repeated use it came a lot easier for me...always check when done because it's not perfect and you will notice areas that it didn't mask correct and you just re enter select and mask and straighten out the mistake..Also recheck the smooth, contrast, feather etc box as it loses its memory of the previous settings you choose......
It doesn't do the best job in the world cutting out shapes ...but it's usable....2017 is sometimes buggy but I'm sure with time they will get it sorted...
My first sign of trouble was when it started Not showing the marching ants after I pressed ok...so I could double check the line I cut out.... then the (fill) with color stopped working and resetting did no good...I finally got tired of fighting it and went back to my original 2015.5.
Wish you the best of luck, stick with it and watch those tutorial's and follow along...It does get better I promise
I followed the Youtube tutorial that was kindly left, the one with the beautiful bear; followed it explicitly, but whatever selection tool I used, nothing happened when I tried to select the part of my picture I wanted to cut out, i.e. the bear part. I had reduced the transparency so as to show the onion skin as well but it just didn't work. I have updated it now, but that was last night so I shall have to see what result I get.

Pipsmom

Guru
Just out of curiosity when you go to work on a picture today on a test picture, don't use onion skin but rather the solid red coloured option. Reason I ask is my onion skin stopped working but the other colors worked fine, so to work around I went into select and mask with your hardest brush, reduce the opacity down to around 80% just so you can just see the outline of the picture to cut out your lines. This may or help but it may work for yours.
Hopefully MrTom will help out when he comes on later

Last edited: