What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance in Making a Visor Reflective

LordTutTut

Hello there,
I have a question about making reflections in Photoshop. I'm more of a video/sound guy, so I'll try to explain the best that I can.
I want to make a part of a picture look like it is reflecting off a scene. I made a little concept below by using a vector mask, but it didn't really turn out as I hoped. My question is, how would I make the visor of the pilot character reflective (if it's even possible)? I just need it to look like the visor is somewhat realistically reflecting a picture of my own (such as a face or location). I'd post a request, but my final revision may be against the forum's rules, so I'll just ask for guidance.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Thermite Forum.png
    Thermite Forum.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Jäger_Portrait.png
    Jäger_Portrait.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 2

fredfish

Guru
Do you mean something like this?

Jäger_Portrait.jpg

I have put a reflection of a photographer in the visor.

If so I did this.

Made a selection of the visor using the pen tool
Converted this to a selection
Promoted this to a layer on its own
Placed the cut out image of the photographer on the layer above this
Clipped the photographer layer to the visor layer
Played with the opacity to make it look right (ended up with about 55% - 60%)
Changed the blend mode to "Soft light" which kept the highlights in the visor.

If I was being really fussy - or if the visor had more of a dome shape to it I would probably also use "Transform / warp" to distort the image of the photographer to match the profile of the visor.

Cheers

John

Last edited: