What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro coloured/photocopied look

donjohnson

A common look in retro posters etc, almost like it's a posterized filter but more organic, any ways to reproduce this in photoshop? Referring to the treatment of the photograph of the three men

three-times-dope-funky-dividends.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you look closely, you can see this has what's called a halftone effect......
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 12.44.26 AM.png

Here's one of several ways to accomplish the effect.

Open your image

Duplicate (Ctrl + J) your image two times.

Select the 2nd layer from the top and set the blending mode to Overlay.

Select the top layer and Go to Filter > Sketch > Halftone Pattern. Adjust the setting to taste. Set the blending mode to Color Burn. Lower the layers opacity if needed.

Duplicate (Ctrl + J) the top layer you just altered and set the blending mode to Soft Light. Lower the layers opacity if needed.

(I did not cut this guy from the background as was done in the original)
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 1.57.53 AM.png

There are also some color changes you can make so it will appear more vintage.

donjohnson

Thanks for your help! I understand the halftoning, but it's more the flatness of the other colours that seems harder to replicate. They seem to be completely flat with all the shading just coming from the black?

I think what you are talking about, at least in the faces of the subjects, is probably done with a gradient map.

If you select just the faces of your subjects, copy them, and put them on their own layer, you can create a gradient map adjustment layer to get that flat colouring look.

See below.

Agent

Attachments

• dream_warriors.jpg
    dream_warriors.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 20