What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Do Something Like This

Stix

Not completelynew to ps, but never figured out how to do something like this. The things im trying to figure out are the glow from the red border of the edit, the text on the side for the second one and then the player edits in general

RA1GBps.png

Here's another example
mH6jbE1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

gedstar

Guru
(also I might post this in 2 other forum sections, not trying to spam just making sure it goes in the right one)

Hi and welcome to the forum

Just post the one here will be fine!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Here's how to do the text.

First you would have a background.
Then you would add the text with the Type Tool.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.12.57 PM.png

(Note: Create the text horizontally first, the use Free Transform to rotate the text. Do this before you do the next steps.)

Use a layer style to create a stroke.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.13.44 PM.png

Now add the texture in a layer on top of the text layer. This is the texture that will appear inside your text
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.13.58 PM.png

Select/highlight and right click on this layer and choose "Create clipping mask".
Should look like this now.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.14.11 PM.png

Add a layer mask to the text texture layer.
Select the Gradient Tool.
Set to linear gradient .
Open the gradient editor, choose the foreground to transparent preset.
Set your foreground color to black. (Hit D on your keyboard)

With the layer mask selected, hold the shift key down and drag a gradient from left to right.

Should now look like this....
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.14.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.26.14 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I quickly made this graphic to simulate your examples. I can give you the rundown on it if you wish.
It's all layers.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.28.38 PM.png

Let me know.

Stix

I appreciate the help, but its not turning out the way I want it. for reference heres something I've made before, and im trying to figure out how to make the edit similar and make the red part "glow". thanks

uWPXjYe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fredfish

Guru
Similar to this?

glow.jpg

If so I selected the red "frame" and placed it on its own layer above the image
Then I applied outer glow to an fx layer

You need to play with the opacity, spread and size options to get the effect that you want.

You could go an and mask out different parts of the layer to vary the effect

If you want to have a play here is my .psd file https://www.dropbox.com/s/928va41ljwonth2/glow.psd?dl=0

BTW if you are using one of the later versions of PS be aware that when you open the fx panel you dont get all of the fx available on show by default - you need to click on the small fx icon at the bottom of the layer style panel to see the "Outer Glow" effect.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
I have been reading one of the other threads that included mention of motion blur and path blur and I applied a bit of Path blur to the glow and achieved a slightly different result. As is usually the case the best result is almost certainly going to be a combination of effects. Just trying to suggest more food for thought.

Cheers

John

glow2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Original examples..............
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.02.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.02.54 AM.png

I did the same border effect. I just didn't use as bright of a color. I matched the color of low poly BG and added several options from a layer style including an outer glow.
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.07.18 AM.png