What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoe to make faded effects?

Hi Gurus its my first request in here .Am attaching an image and i would like to know how to achieve that effect. Am also attaching my own effort so far .So please guide me through.Thanks

vb.jpg

Ok on the above attached image how to make the image blurred or faded at the left hand side of it.Am also attaching my own method.

Testing1.jpg

Ok above image is my attempt.What i did was i used gradient from white to transparent and applied it to achieve it.I think am almost there.But is there any other and redefined methods like masking etc.. to do it ?As you gurus more lot of tricks and refinements that the novice like me. I also attached the Layered psd for the reference.

BTW i noticed psd files are not attaching. How to attach psd files to the post?

Ps_starter, a Layer Mask would be the way to go here.

Easy, non-destructive. Look at basic tutorials on layer masks. See also below - a layer mask added to the image layer, with a blank white layer underneath. I've circled the layer mask icon/button in the layers panel at the bottom.

Attachments

• layer_mask.jpg
    layer_mask.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
As agentmoeller said use a layer mask.

Essentially a mask "hides" part of the layer that you are on. In a mask Black will reveal the layer below -White will completely conceal the layer below - shades of Grey will show corresponding amounts of the layer below.

If you look at the image that agentmoeller posted he shows you where the icon is to add a mask to a layer. In his image he has a white layer below the picture and then he clicked on the actual layer mask in the layers panel and added a gradient going from White to Black.

You can also paint directly in Black on the layer mask.

You can find loads of tutorials on the internet - this might be a good one to start with. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/layer-masks/

Cheers

John

gedstar

Guru
Agentmoeller has already explained what to do, but here's the step by step process

First open your image and create a new layer below the main image and hit CTRL + Backspace to fill that layer with white

View attachment 73397

Then select the main layer and click on the Add Layer Mask icon highlighted at the bottom

View attachment 73398

Press G on the keyboard to select the Gradient Tool then open up the Gradient Editor and select the first Gradient

View attachment 73399

Then draw the Gradient from left to right holding the shift key as you go

View attachment 73400

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Sorry John didn't see your post until after I posted mine :thumbsup:

This auto refresh been turned off can be a pain sometimes!

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru