What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gif question, please help :)

Liipnite

How can I properly export a gif with transparent background?

I've tried multiple times to get a perfect transparent background on a gif, by doing a simple layer animation of a black circle, but when I export it, there's always a white halo around the black circle, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, could you guys please guide me through how to do it properly?, I'd really appreciate it, thanks in advance :)

MrToM

Guru
The 'gif' format supports transparency but only in an 'on / off' capacity.

In other words, if you have any pixel with partial transparency it will either be converted to a completely transparent pixel if it is less than 50% transparent, or filled with the matte colour if over 50% transparent.

The white fringe you are seeing is those pixels with over 50% transparency being converted to the matte colour....which in this case I assume is white.

Remove any 'partial' transparency and the problem will solved.

Regards.
MrToM.

Liipnite

The white fringe you are seeing is those pixels with over 50% transparency being converted to the matte colour....which in this case I assume is white.

Remove any 'partial' transparency and the problem will solved.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you for the help :)

How can I remove the partial transparency?, because again, I just did a simple circle, I tried turning off "Anti-alias" from the "Circle" tool (or however its called) which I thought would remove the transparency around the edges of the cirle, but it didn't do it, therefore not fixing the problem, so how do I do it?

MrToM

Guru
...I tried turning off "Anti-alias" from the "Circle" tool (or however its called)...
I appreciate you may be new to PS but if you can, try to use the correct terminology...google it if you are unsure....it makes a big difference in trying to understand what you are doing...."Circle tool" and "however its called" are not really helpful.

If you are using one of the marquee tools then you are right in your approach in turning off the anti-aliasing, and this should be enough.

The fact that it didn't work for you suggests that you are not using a marquee tool but possibly a 'shape' tool...the "Circle" one at a rough guess?

In this case you need to convert the 'shape' into what Adobe call a 'selection'...with any shape tool selected, right click inside the shape and select 'Make selection'. In the dialog box that opens uncheck 'Anti-alias' and hit 'OK'.

You should now have a marquee, similar to using a marquee tool, without any anti-aliasing.

Its a bit of a run-around but that's Adobe for you.

You can actually create a non anti-aliased circle with the 'Shape' tool if that's your preference and if so I can guide you in how to do that.

If you can be a little more descriptive in what tools you use and how you used them then it means we don't have to guess, and a more helpful solution can be found for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Liipnite

I appreciate you may be new to PS but if you can, try to use the correct terminology...google it if you are unsure....it makes a big difference in trying to understand what you are doing...."Circle tool" and "however its called" are not really helpful.

My bad, I had just closed Photoshop so I just gave it a guess on the name of the tool, but it is the "Elliptical Marquee Tool"

If you are using one of the marquee tools then you are right in your approach in turning off the anti-aliasing, and this should be enough.

It may have been a bug or maybe I did something wrong, because now that I had to open Photoshop, I tried again and it worked, no more transparent edges :)

If I run into any other problems I will post on this thread, thank you :D

MrToM

Guru
My bad, I had just closed Photoshop so I just gave it a guess on the name of the tool, but it is the "Elliptical Marquee Tool"...
No worries, thanks for the confirmation.

As you can see, there is always more than one way to do things so knowing 'which' means its just better all round for everyone.

...I tried again and it worked, no more transparent edges...
Excellent!
You may want to check up on the 'gif' format to see exactly what it supports and what techniques are used to work around problems.
For instance you 'can' have partial transparency but at a price, by using the matte colour....but...

...If I run into any other problems I will post on this thread, thank you...
By all means.
The forum gets 'gif' questions on a regular basis so you could try a forum search first in case your question has already been answered.

Regards.
MrToM.

thebestcpu

Guru
The problem appears to be solved yet thought it was worth mentioning that besides turning off the anti-alias feature with a Marquee Selection, you also need to set the "Feather" option to 0 pixels.

The following image shows the non-crisp edge when anti-alias is turned on yet the feather has a non-zero value.

That is assuming I understood the posts correctly

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 8.01.57 AM.png