What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest way to select a specific areas in this image

Zlikowski

Dear forum members,

I am working with the first image shown below, which is a light micrograph of a mouse brain centered on the part of the brain called cerebellum (sponge-like structure occupying the central portion of the image). I would like to measure the surface area and the diameter of the cerebellum, and since I don't have any more specialized tools for this task, I am considering using Photoshop's built-in measurements tools for the job. To do the measurements, I need to select the entire cerebellum area (second image), but, as you can see, the biggest problem in creating the required selection are the brain furrows (folds). Since I'm a total noob at Photoshop, I need anywhere from 6 to 8 minutes to do this using the combination of quick selection (to select only the cerebellum part of the image), followed by manual deselection of furrows using brush tool in quick mask mode. Since I have ***a lot*** of these pictures to process, I was wondering whether any of the pros out here might suggest a faster way of making the desired selection.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Please remove the text formatting from your post, those using the dark forum theme cannot read it...

dark_text_MT_01.jpg

Thank-you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Zlikowski

Thank you and my apologies, I wasn't even aware that I added any formatting. It should be fixed now.

MrToM

Guru
...Thank you and my apologies...
No worries, and no need for apologies.

...I wasn't even aware that I added any formatting.
Sometimes if you copy and paste text it can copy the formatting as well but of course formatting isn't visible, only its affects....and even then only if the page allows it, which in this case it didn't.

...It should be fixed now..
Much better, thank-you.

Regards.
MrToM.

TommyS

I would guess that the easiest way to get the selection you are looking for is using the Quick Selection Tool. It is grouped with the Magic Wand Tool. It basically allows you to paint a selection similar to a quick mask but it has edge detection. Try it out and that should get you close to the exact outline. From there, I'd use refine edge to, well, refine the edge.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 3.03.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 3.03.52 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would guess that the easiest way to get the selection you are looking for is using the Quick Selection Tool. It is grouped with the Magic Wand Tool. It basically allows you to paint a selection similar to a quick mask but it has edge detection. Try it out and that should get you close to the exact outline. From there, I'd use refine edge to, well, refine the edge.

The OP mentions this in his original post...........
Zlikowski said:
using the combination of quick selection (to select only the cerebellum part of the image), followed by manual deselection of furrows using brush tool in quick mask mode

TommyS

Oops! I should have read your op more closely.
It sounds like you are doing what would probably be the fastest method I can think of then, haha. Maybe Refine Edge might speed things up.
Good luck!