What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tools to use?

Rusty_T

Hello

This is my first post so I hope it's in the correct forum as I'm looking for advice as to how I make changes to this image vs. having someone just do the work for me.

I would like to understand what the best technique is to changing the background being the letter 'ART CH' to match the illuminated background of the rest of the letters in the 'ART CHANGES WE CHANGE' sign.

Many thanks in advance.

Russell
DSCF9294.jpg

Steve235

Hello,

Mabe there is a much faster way, but I did it like this ( hope it's understandable) :

First I made a selection of the letters ART CH with the magic wand and made that a new layer. Then I made a selection of the full windows with the letters ANGES and made that also a new layer.
After that I dagged that layer over the part you want to be limunated also and made it fit with modify-> transform -->distort.
When it fited I painted out the letters wih a white brush, then went back to the backgroundlayer and selected the part where "shadow" goes to white, the top part between the E and the C from WE CHANGE.
Made that a new layer and pasted it into the "new" windows. I also used the modify ---> transform --> disort tool to make the shadow look more natural and fit the "flow" of the rest of the shadow.
Then I made the layer with the letters ART CH the top layer.
Then finished with a white soft brush ( 0% hardness) and optipacity set to 70% to fade the bottom of the letters a bit out.

Hope you understand what I wrote :)
Anyway, this is the outcome I got.

Attachments

• DSCF92941.jpg
    DSCF92941.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I did this as a quick and dirty example with just a 'Levels' adjustment layer...

which_tools_MT_02.jpg

My 'Layer 1' is just a copy of the affected area but you could do this without it by changing the whole image and then masking out what you want to keep as original.

Very simple, very quick, but of course the method used very much depends on the quality of the result required.
There is never an ultimate solution.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Steve235

I did this as a quick and dirty example with just a 'Levels' adjustment layer...

View attachment 73624

My 'Layer 1' is just a copy of the affected area but you could do this without it by changing the whole image and then masking out what you want to keep as original.

Very simple, very quick, but of course the method used very much depends on the quality of the result required.
There is never an ultimate solution.

Regards.
MrToM.

:D That's alot easier then my solution!

MrToM

Guru
...That's alot easier then my solution!...
Maybe, but not necessarily the result required.

For such a 'general' question there isn't any definitive solution...it really does depend what the image is to be used for, which we don't know.

Regards.
MrToM.

Rusty_T

Thanks MtTom. I like simple and quick:). I'll give it a go. I'm hoping to print A4 (for personal use) or maybe larger but I need to work on some other aspects including noise so I'll see if this solution could work well enough for print. Your input is much appreciated though.

Rusty_T

Hi Steve, thanks for the detailed response and providing a step-by-step as I need detailed guidance. I'll give it a go this afternoon but what you posted looks great. Thanks very much. On a side note I'm planning on boosting the contrast and bit and perhaps working on the noise. From an outsider perspective is there anything else obvious you would change about the image?. I'm really not familiar with all the tools / filters etc that are available so trying to think about what's possible.