What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create Spindrift?

HighKings_Ruin

Hi all. First of I apologize for not making a new thread on the new members forums, i'm in a bit of a hurry.

I'm looking to create the weather effect called Spindrift: snow-spindrift-mountain-peak-01-19157692.jpg

But I literally can't find any Photoshop information on it at all. I need it to edit an image I've been planning on making.

I was hoping someone here might know how to create this weather effect in Photoshop.

If anyone could explain how to create realistic Spindrift in Photoshop CC, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

As with all things Photoshop, there are many ways to do things.

Here is a quick solution.
I did this ver fast for the demo, you take your time.

I used these Brushes:
View attachment Spindrift Brush.abr

In the Brushes Panel, I used these settings.
Set the Brush's flow to about 50%. Set your foreground color to white.
Work on a new layer and not the image layer itself.
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 8.20.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 8.20.57 AM.png

I have a Wacom Tablet so you may have to play and experiment with the settings if your using a mouse.

Before
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 8.19.37 AM.png

After
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 8.21.07 AM.png

As I said, I did this rather fast. I made them more obvious so you could see them, you need to make your brush much smaller. If I had time I would also try adding in some body to the drift with a cloud brush for a misty effect.

HighKings_Ruin

Hi. Thanks for sharing those brushes and giving me some quick instructions.

I made a quick little image and tried creating some Spindrifts, but it came out pretty bad compared to how they look IRL: poster.jpeg - Himalayan-Spindrift_imagelarge.jpg

I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out how to make them look natural. I don't suppose there is a video tutorial for making these?

HighKings_Ruin

Hi again. I watched a few of the videos and I didn't really learn anything that would help with making the Spindrift's look more natural.

What kind of movement should I be using on the cursor when i'm applying it?

I beet some slightly-modified "smoke" tutorials could probably create some realistic spindrift!

My two cents.

agent