What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading Faint writing on old pictures

Pipsmom

Guru
I seem to run across this a lot lately but wondering how do you go about reading faint names written on old photos? I've tried everything on this one but still cant make out all the names...some too faint to even consider....... :question: Just wondering

ladies behind clerk office copy.JPG

colleague

Guru
yes, that's a big problem

because when you enhance the text, there is still the possibility that you can't read everything

maybe you could ask the owner of the photo if he knows what the names are

(I enhanced the text a little with HDR from the free Nik-filters pugin )

Attachments

• textreading.jpg
    textreading.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 6

Pipsmom

Guru
Thanks for the response Colleague, I'm waiting on his response as his memory is still sharp and he has helped me before when I can't read everything. His collection goes back to the 1800's onwards and he kindly let me have all of them to practice on.
Your text recover was better than mine, will have to remember the Nik HDR, as I didn't try that yet. Thank you :thumbsup:

I used a combination of Levels and Curves adjustment layers.

Didn't get much better.

It's tough because the text is not a uniform color, so, darkening some of it will wash other parts out.

Agent.

Attachments

• ladies behind clerk office copy.jpg
    ladies behind clerk office copy.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you for the effort, I can actually make out a few more of the last names I'm familiar with...Big Thank you